Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I haven't researched laptops in years until now, so I need some help finding out what to do for my friend.

His budget is around 2k at the most (cheaper would be nice obviously) and he wants a 15-17 inch monitor with an i7 cpu (although i5 would probably be perfectly fine for him).

The laptop will be used for streaming media online (mostly through netflix and hulu), web browsing, and light gaming.

Here are the reasons why he wants to get a macbook pro:
Both Mac and Windows OS
Battery life
Less prone to viruses
Mac OS is simple to use

The con is obviously the price. Even with a student discount, you get a lot less than you can get for a normal laptop at the same price.

Are there any laptops that can match up to what the macbook pro offers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I would take a look at the asus U45 imo. You don't need 4 cores for his purposes. If you want the turbo core option, you can take a look at the Asus U30, but the u45 has a high enough clock speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Yes there is. The HP Envy series is reported to last 10 hours, with an aluminum/magnesium (probably silicone or tin as well) alloy chassis as well (the MBP is an unknown alloy). Overall cheaper and better specifications then the MBP as well as having good reviews. Please make sure you get the 2nd revision (generation) Envy, they solved a few issues plaguing the 1st generation. Now it's smooth sailing.

I must forewarn that the aluminum chassis of the macbook pro is of low grade aluminum, dents/dings/scratches easily. High quality ABS plastic like the one Lenovo's use is preferred if you want true protection/durability. Also the magnesium alloy on the Alienware and some Dell models seems to have good criticism as far as durability goes. Also the MBP seems to not be able to support it's weight and will bend over time causing odd noises with the dvd drive, other times with the hard drive, however I cannot confirm if it is just year/refresh specific.
I am afraid I have not heard much of the Envy's aluminum grade, but knowing costs for aluminum I doubt it's any much better if better at all.

Higher grade aluminum like T6 is what I consider a bare minimum for laptop use to be considered highly durable and "business class". However T6 aluminum is insanely expensive, the sheer aluminum block needed for the laptop would easily run you $800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I believe the U30 has a marketed battery life of 8.5 hrs while the U45 is in the range of 11.5.

Please note that these are probably synthetic and reading reviews will give you an actual idea of how long the battery lasts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,396 Posts
If he willing to pay for it and not going to be gaming and thin sleek design of the mac is nice and if he likes the os, I'd say go for it. Although, I myself would never get a mac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
defintley a pc laptp, for the price a macbook is you could build an awesome gaming pc, (or a great laptop).
Not being a fanboy here but if you want a bit of gaming aswell defs go for the pc.
I think macboys and pcboys can both agree that if your like a proffesional editor, or designer, go for the mac, because the software they have is great, but if u just want what you stated, go for a pc laptop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
If he doesn't mind shelling out the money, and isn't very technically-fluent, go for the Mac. It's pretty hard to mess up OSX unless you try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sambaman009
View Post

defintley a pc laptp, for the price a macbook is you could build an awesome gaming pc, (or a great laptop).
Not being a fanboy here but if you want a bit of gaming aswell defs go for the pc.
I think macboys and pcboys can both agree that if your like a proffesional editor, or designer, go for the mac, because the software they have is great, but if u just want what you stated, go for a pc laptop.

You mean all the Adobe software that's also on Windows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

If he doesn't mind shelling out the money, and isn't very technically-fluent, go for the Mac. It's pretty hard to mess up OSX unless you try


So you should only get a Mac if you're not tech-savvy?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
The "less prone to viruses" and "easy to use" bits make me want to toss him a Mac. If he's the kind of guy who likes to click on strange links or just wants an intuitive GUI over everything else, get him a Mac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
I would go for the MBP. This way he doesn't bother you later on. I never thought I would grab one but I found a unibody for very very cheap in A+++ condition and bought it.

I actually like it to be honest. The track pad is really a great feature even though the O.S. lacks a bit for me. If its for school then whipping it out doesn't hurt.

The aluminum on it is pretty weak. Scratches easily with anything really.

Please note however that I refuse to give money to Apple.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Weedvender
View Post

I would go for the MBP. This way he doesn't bother you later on. I never thought I would grab one but I found a unibody for very very cheap in A+++ condition and bought it.

Gotta agree with this. I definitely like PC-laptops more, and I absolutely love my UL30A, but when it comes to complete computer beginners or those who have absolutely no computer skills whatsoever, I would definitely recommend a Mac. It'd get them off my back and would prevent them from going "I clicked on a link in my email and now my Windows isn't working, why did you recommend me such a crappy laptop" in the future
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMallory View Post
So you should only get a Mac if you're not tech-savvy?

Well no, but generally speaking, it'd be better to give a non tech-savvy person a mac so they don't come bothering you after they download some malware infested cursors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
Well no, but generally speaking, it'd be better to give a non tech-savvy person a mac so they don't come bothering you after they download some malware infested cursors.
I think it's more the public mainstream perception of Macs and PCs.

In my experience, if something goes wrong with a PC, the user is more likely to attribute it to "Windows sucks and breaks down so easily".

If a Mac breaks, the user is more likely to attribute it to bad luck since "Apple makes such great computers and I probably just got a bad unit".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
Well no, but generally speaking, it'd be better to give a non tech-savvy person a mac so they don't come bothering you after they download some malware infested cursors.
Well that will happen with a Mac as well. It happens with any PC (OSX or windows based)..

You don't need to be tech savvy to not get infected, you just gotta realize one simple truth:
Nothing is free. And what is free often comes at a cost.

If your friend can manage to get a Windows 7 system infected, he'll likely do that on any computer he gets regardless of operating system. Unless you get him a mobile operating system..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsAnAtheist View Post
Well that will happen with a Mac as well. It happens with any PC (OSX or windows based)..

You don't need to be tech savvy to not get infected, you just gotta realize one simple truth:
Nothing is free. And what is free often comes at a cost.

If your friend can manage to get a Windows 7 system infected, he'll likely do that on any computer he gets regardless of operating system. Unless you get him a mobile operating system..
However if he believes that Macs "just work", he would stip himself and starting thinking... maybe in doing it wrong. I mean One could use their ignorance back at them ie: You broke a mac? How!?

Instead of Windows isn't working, windows sucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkcow500 View Post
Does anyone know if it's true that the macbook pro gets poor battery life (~2-3 hours) when running windows? If that's so, I'm just going to suggest him buy an i5 envy 15 because the windows portion is important to him as well.
Yes this is true to a point. Battery life is decreased to around 3-4 hours compared to about 5 hrs~ on OSX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkcow500 View Post
Does anyone know if it's true that the macbook pro gets poor battery life (~2-3 hours) when running windows? If that's so, I'm just going to suggest him buy an i5 envy 15 because the windows portion is important to him as well.
The MBP is not a windows laptop. Apple has severely dropped the ball on the drivers department for power management and overall utility/ease of use. There is literally no power management. And whats worse is that some of my friends blamed windows for that instead of Apple's incompetence. They are stupid anyway.

What I do is that I run parallels, virtualization within OSX. That way you don't worry about the second partition, etc. Works wonderfully.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top