Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a Mac before and would love to try one.
I might be pulling the trigger on a 15' Macbook Pro next week but thought I should post here before.
The only programs I use mainly are
  • Adobe Lightroom 3
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5
  • Microsoft Office
Gaming will be done all on my xbox 360 so no gaming isn't a big deal for me. I already have a laptop but that is going up for sale since the screen size wasn't big enough for me.
Anyone have feedback on using a Mac?

• Rep+
Reactions: Tt2ent

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 15 inch macbook pro myself, 4 years old and is still like new, I have no problems at all using photoshop cs4 and powerdirector (video editing)

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I would personally still get a PC of some sorts...The reason is because all of those programs can run on a PC...Unless you are doing some serious stuff for work or something like that...I have CS4 and Premere on my Sig Rig and they run great...

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
I have a 13" MacBook Pro that's 2 years old and l love it. The multi-touch trackpad is so awesome on a laptop. Plus it's a very sturdy laptop. I would go for it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
well theres no question that the mac vs pc the mac is more money.
But, the components in the mac are very good and it's a very sturdy unit.

they may not be in the lead in terms of performance, for example the current 13 mbp is running a p8600 i believe, not bad, but it's a 2 yr proc.

They are very easy to work on (unless you're replacing the glass on the lcd - thats more challenging).

My biggest issue is that the cpu/gpu are soldered to the mobo, so if something goes wrong with the mobo, you're pretty much buying a new unit...and limits any option to upgrade the cpu down the road.

I say if you like it and it feels good when using it, then get it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_2001;12008122
I would personally still get a PC of some sorts...The reason is because all of those programs can run on a PC...Unless you are doing some serious stuff for work or something like that...I have CS4 and Premere on my Sig Rig and they run great...
I'm planning to stay away from a desktop setup overall. PC especially since I can't help myself spending $$$ on parts every few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhead91;12008129
I have a 13" MacBook Pro that's 2 years old and l love it. The multi-touch trackpad is so awesome on a laptop. Plus it's a very sturdy laptop. I would go for it.
That's good news. What is the spec on your MBP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet;12008197
Mackboob PRO!
It costs more then PC.
It's worse than PC.
It has apple on it.
You're step closer to god Steve.
You can install windows on it to confuse other mac users tho.
Um...
poke.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoc13;12008234
well theres no question that the mac vs pc the mac is more money.
But, the components in the mac are very good and it's a very sturdy unit.

they may not be in the lead in terms of performance, for example the current 13 mbp is running a p8600 i believe, not bad, but it's a 2 yr proc.

They are very easy to work on (unless you're replacing the glass on the lcd - thats more challenging).

My biggest issue is that the cpu/gpu are soldered to the mobo, so if something goes wrong with the mobo, you're pretty much buying a new unit...and limits any option to upgrade the cpu down the road.

I say if you like it and it feels good when using it, then get it.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. I never used a Mac before so I don't know if it feels good to use it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridarn;12008103
I have a 15 inch macbook pro myself, 4 years old and is still like new, I have no problems at all using photoshop cs4 and powerdirector (video editing)

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michintom
View Post

That's good news. What is the spec on your MBP?

If you means specs as in hardware, it's got an Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.26GHz and I upgraded the standard 2 gigs of RAM to 4 gigs. The hard drive is 160GB. It's got an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video card. I know you said you have the xbox for gaming, but I have the orange box for my mac and it runs fine on medium to low settings. I don't really ever use it for gaming, but if I go on vacation or something I'll take it so I can play TF2. I'm also running snow leopard. I personally like the Mac OS, especially in a laptop. It keeps things fairly simple and obvious, although it does have its faults. This is why I have a Mac laptop and a Windows desktop. I like the control and gaming capabilities of the Windows machine, but I really like the Mac for something I'm just doing more internet surfing and checking on class assignments and stuff for.

• Rep+
Reactions: michintom

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
If you want something that feels like a Mac and can give you around a 7 and a half hour battery life, look into the HP DV7 series that has the aluminum body. Got it and I'm loving it, got the mid end i5 in it and running CS5 with photoshop and illustrator no problem. They're is i7 and i3 versions as well.

May not be a Mac, but you can get quite a bit more power at a cheaper price for a 17" screen.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Go for it
You'll have a great time.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michintom
View Post

I have never used a Mac before and would love to try one.
I might be pulling the trigger on a 15' Macbook Pro next week but thought I should post here before.
The only programs I use mainly are
  • Adobe Lightroom 3
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5
  • Microsoft Office
Gaming will be done all on my xbox 360 so no gaming isn't a big deal for me. I already have a laptop but that is going up for sale since the screen size wasn't big enough for me.
Anyone have feedback on using a Mac?

mac book pros should be called "MAC DADDY PROS" they will last forever, my boss has had one for 7 years and its just now starting to slow down a bit JUST NOW!
their so fantastic when it comes to media rendering. i have one for video productions and film making. love it to death!
the good thing about them is you may have never touched one before but my i learned from my first time using one that they are so easy to understand and the UI is perfectly easy to learn quickly. you will love it right now.

i know on this post theres gonna be a buncha ignorant PC fanboys poppin up but dont listen im not a mac or pc fanboy i have and use em both for what their made for (pc for gaming, mac for video stuff) enjoy buddy!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Ugh, all these Macbook recommendations. Lets get at least one thing straight. Macbooks are inferior in terms of hardware. For the price of a Macbook Pro 15", you can get a Asus G73 that will blow it out of the water in terms of performance (i7, 6GB DDR3, 5870m Crossfire, 500GB HDD, etc.). If you like the brand name, and the design and are willing to pay a premium for it, go ahead. They are sturdy, and Apple is usually good about the one year warranty, they are probably the most hassle free company I've dealt with. All this comes at a price preimium though. Up to you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiNet
View Post

Mackboob PRO!
It costs more then PC.
It's worse than PC.
It has apple on it.
You're step closer to god Steve.
You can install windows on it to confuse other mac users tho.

^^^^rest my case^^^^ lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
Macbook Pros are the best designed laptops money can buy.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Another pro is if you live near an Apple Store you can take your macbook there if you have any issues or if you just wanna learn more about the operating system. They offer instructional meetings on using stuff on your mac for free I believe. IMO the MacBook is worth it just for the multi-touch track pad. I love not having to click back buttons while surfing the internet, or being able to see all my open windows or my desktop with a swipe of my fingers. It makes navigating through stuff so fast and easy.

EDIT: Dang it Hillskill you stole my rig name... lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Depends if you wanna spend the money on it.
As others have said the hardware can easily be outclassed by a windows machine thats cheaper.

The macbooks are very well built though, their metal body is very sturdy. I have a 13" macbook with the metal body which i got just before they stuck the pro bit on the name. I got mine because its good for me to have both windows and mac OS experience on my CV, seems to help with getting design jobs if you can do it all.

If you can get it cheaper then go for it, I got just over £200 off mine by way of staff discounts and other bits where I work so I didnt end up paying the normal price, only thing I wanna do is upgrade the ram from 2 to 4.

Install windows using boot camp, it really confuses people when they see it lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Still don't think they're worth the money. To each their own.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I bought one oct 2010, best thing I bought. I was all PC, and screw Mac cuz of the price. But OSX is fun, its new for me (as always use windows or linux) and I like the software they offer with iLife and Macs are alot more fun and easier for me to video edit, sound edit and all that on. PLus its fun to play with the OS and learn new stuff everytime I open its lid.

Plus it runs CS:S, TF2, WoW
My fav 3 games.

Go for it! Its a experience and a fun OS

Mine is Macbook pro 13" 2010 model. I <3 it. Cute little white lappy

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Don't listen to the Mac haters. The macbook pro is a very solid, high quality computer. Sure it costs more, but it is built like a tank.

I do not own one but I work in the same room with 2 people who own a 13 inch and one person who owns the 15 inch. I play with them regularly. Personally I prefer the 13 inch. It is much lighter. I would take the money that you save by getting the 13 inch and put it towards a wireless keyboard, mouse, and monitor for the Mac when you are at home.

I recently bought the Mac wireless keyboard and mouse for my girlfriend's Mac Air. It is pretty awesome. When you get home all you have to do is plug your notebook into the monitor, touch the keyboard and mouse to wake them up and it's like you have a full size computer. I see no reason to get the 15 inch over the 13 inch unless you really want the extra size (weight).

17 inch laptops defeat the purpose of a laptop in my opinion...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts