Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may have saw in another thread, I would like to get a MBP (Macbook pro) for college. I like the size, battery life, back lit k/b but have always hated mac lol. Anyways if I decide not to get this what are some good replacement laptops? Obv nothing more expensive than a MCB otherwise it defeats purpose and I like a decent res as well. Similar the MCB or better and basically same size, battery life, etc. All suggestions are appreciated. Tell me why I should get a MCB or show me something else to get and why. Also I have a gaming computer as shown in my sig so I have no intentions of doing anything else besides school work such as online quizes, essays, web browsing, and listening to music while enjoying my 10 hours of battery.

Short version for lazy readers:
Get the Macbook pro or not? If not what do I get that is similar? (No need for gaming or intense programming)

·
Registered
899 Posts
HP Envy or Acer Timeline. I say get the MBP, it's actually a really good laptop for college. OSX has been tailored to suit the MBP, giving it really good battery life. Since you already have a gaming rig, no point in getting a strong laptop. MBP should be just fine, but I suggest looking into netbooks as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention the ASUS UL series is really nice too, good battery life and great for doing basic stuff. May even be able to play some low end games if you're bored.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Asus UL80VT.

14 inches, slim, has a DVD drive.

C2D LV, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GMA 4500MHD -> nVidia G210M.

Switchable graphics is a battery saver.

Can run roughly 8 hours. As with most of Asus' 2010 lineup, the keyboard is EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE to type on.

Trust me, I have an A42J and I absolutely love the keyboard.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Asus UJ35C. It's a 13.3" laptop with an i3, HD4500 integrated and nvidia 310m, and 4GB DDR3-1066. Much more power than you'd ever need for your processes.

The laptop is also a 3.7lb laptop with 9 hours of battery life, which is superior to the MBP (the 13" gets 7 hours actual, less than the advertised 10 hours). XoticPC has it here for $819.

I've the older brother of this, the UL30A (same body, Core 2 Duo SU7300, HD4500, 10 hour battery life w/ SSD) and I definitely would recommend the laptop. Small ,light, and I can take it to class the whole day without the need for a charger.

If you do get this laptop, I definitely recommend a SSD. It would give you a better battery life while making the laptop much more reliable (SSDs are not prone to shock like HDDs).

·
Registered
4,877 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. They all look nice. I couldn't find the hp envy but a lot of them look nice. The res in the MBP is a little better, but I am not saying that's worth the extra money. Do any one these happen to have back lit k/b tho?

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
Thanks everyone. They all look nice. I couldn't find the hp envy but a lot of them look nice. The res in the MBP is a little better, but I am not saying that's worth the extra money. Do any one these happen to have back lit k/b tho?
Here you go

Bear in mind that the 14"+ all use Core i CPUs, while the 13" uses a Core 2 Duo.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That envy looks pretty nice. I like the switchable GPU. How exactly does that work?

Also I wanted to get the cheapest 13 inch MBP if I get one.

Edit: The battery life kinds turns me away from the envy but It still isn't out of the picture. Looks really nice and all.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kckyle View Post
Intel SU7300 Core 2 Duo 1.3GHz Processor

What's your point? It's not bad at all for what OP wants to do: "I have no intentions of doing anything else besides school work such as online quizes, essays, web browsing, and listening to music while enjoying my 10 hours of battery."

You're right, let's get him a beefier processor to drain his battery life when he clearly doesn't need it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Honestly, if that is all you are doing, why not get something like this

netbook netbook
hard to beat a claimed 13 hours of battery life. It also has the n475 so it should be ok for your needs.
If you are not into that idea the above suggestions would be great too

edit: just saw you like decent res, so i suppose netbook is not a great suggestion

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by npham858 View Post
What's your point? It's not bad at all for what OP wants to do: "I have no intentions of doing anything else besides school work such as online quizes, essays, web browsing, and listening to music while enjoying my 10 hours of battery."

You're right, let's get him a beefier processor to drain his battery life when he clearly doesn't need it.
why would anyone get a 1.3ghz cpu when they could get a 2.4ghz+ and still have the same battery life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts