Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 17 inch macbook pro for my wife. I got to the HDD vs SSD option, and was wondering, since it's apple are they using some junk SSD in it. It only says better durability for the selling point of the SSD and doesn't mention faster speed. I called apple and the first guy said that the macbooks only have sata I ability for their HDDs. I hung up because that is obviously wrong. The second person I talked to said he was wrong, and asked to put me on hold. He came back and said he wasn't allowed to tell me what SSD they put in them or even if it was a SATA II or III. He told me I could find it online if I looked hard enough.

Well I can't find it. I've find that the boaed is SATA III, but needs a separate connector to get SATA III. That was on the early 2011 macbooks. Since then they have changed a few things, but I can't find any new information about the SSDs. Everyone just seems to assume that the SSD that comes with the mac is junk and buys one themselves and installs it. I'm not up to that task, and just want to have it already in there.

Does anyone have any experience with the apple SSD that comes with the macbook, and is it worth upgrading from and HDD to it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Apple uses Samsung and Toshiba SSDs, last I heard. My MBP has a Samsung drive. They only use 3Gbps connections, although the laptops definitely support aftermarket 6Gbps drives.

For a more detailed look at SSDs, I think Anandtech's review is still mostly up to date. TLDR: Apple drives are slower, but may be a bit more reliable. Anecdotally, I don't usually notice any difference between my 3Gbps transfer speed on my MBP and my 6Gbps transfer speed on my desktop.

·
Registered
278 Posts
so.... macbook pro only read at SATA II speeds? Given a SATA III drive will still work, just read and write at SATA II speeds. Is this what you are saying?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts