Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The early iPhone 4S reviews are in. Apple has provided some publications with an early review unit of the iPhone 4S and here are the reviews. We've extracted some of the more interesting points from each review, but you can click each title to read the full writeup.

TechCrunch Review

- "The iPhone 4S blows away the iPhone 4 when it comes to speed."
- "The true killer feature of the device is Siri."
- "The amount of times Siri hasn't been able to understand and execute my request is astonishingly low. I'll say something that I'm sure Siri won't be able to understand, and it gets it."
- You need to be connected to internet for Siri to work.

ThisIsMyNext Review

- "[The iPhone 4S is] easily one of the most capable handsets on the market."
- "The 4S is more than capable of going through a full business day without needing a charge, and if you're a lighter user, you'll rarely have to worry about it."
- On Siri, "The software even has a good sense of humor. Asking it "what is the meaning of life?" will bring up a number of responses, both serious and not so serious. The first time I asked, Siri simply said "42."

AllThingsD Review

- "My advice is that owners of the iPhone 4 needn't rush to upgrade; they can get the new operating system. But owners of older iPhone models, or those with basic phones, will find this latest iPhone a pleasure and a good value."
- In Washington suburbs, was able to get nearly 7 megabits per second.
- AT&T Model still dropped calls.

NYTimes Review

- "This phone comes dangerously close to displacing a $200 point-and-shoot digital camera."
- "Apple says Siri will improve with time - both because she adapts to you, and because Apple itself will periodically upgrade her brain."
Source

There's about five review sites there. Here's a video from MacWorld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5mNcnj2l6RE#!

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsmasher;15269809
So much for the "stumble".
Apple is one of very few companies that can release an "underwhelming update" to a product and it still sells millions.

Also, that camera takes some pretty darn good pictures.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruboy;15269859
Apple is one of very few companies that can release an "underwhelming update" to a product and it still sells millions.

It's much like CoD; will I buy every consecutive iteration? No. But millions of dedicated fanboys will.

A business model I wouldn't feed, but probably would invest in.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruboy;15269859

It's not an underwhelming update spec-wise. The only disappointing thing for some, is the lack of a new design. You couldn't really ask for better specs right now.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Siri looks really, really cool. I like how it talks back to you using comfortable language, rather than robotic and hollow.

Like in the video where she says, "Is it going to be colder tomorrow?"
Siri replies, "Not likely, it looks like the low is 61 degrees."

·
PC Evangelist
47,497 Posts
I can sell my iPhone 4 for $350 and i need $700 to get the iPhone 4S. That way too much money for me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
O gawd I want Siri so bad D: I wonder how long before wp7 gets something comparable...probably a year or more ugh

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

I can sell my iPhone 4 for $350 and i need $700 to get the iPhone 4S. That way too much money for me.

You should be able to sell it for more than that? An 8GB model brand new sells for $600 doesn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankth3frizz
View Post

i would feel so weird talking to my phone at the mall or telling it what to do. :/

There's a setting so it activates when you hold it near your ear for a few seconds, so it'll look like you're just on a phone call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

Siri is the kind of feature you would use for a while because you think it's "cool" but then completely forget about after you're finished showing off to people.

No, but that's true of past voice recognition software and only because it doesn't work well enough to be better than doing it normally. Siri's different, Siri's better.

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Siri is the realization of many years of hardware/software advancements in real-language communication. It's also the "ultimate goal" of computer interaction by using natural language and receiving answers to almost any question. In other words, the game now is to "stump" Siri.

That's a good thing, though. Sort of like a miniature version of IBM's Watson super computer (I'd like to see how Siri does with Jeopardy questions.) In otherwords, what IBM did was only the beginning. What Siri is doing is a practical application of that thought process.

Exciting times ahead. Personal assistants will be integrated into all smart phones soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
so Siri is basically your IRC chat robot with added speech recognition capability, that are technologies available since 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apass;15273381
so Siri is basically your IRC chat robot with added speech recognition capability, that are technologies available since 10 years ago.
Speech recognition != natural language processing. Regular speech recognition is just a dictionary of common words that are compared with a simple algorithm, this is supposed to be far more complex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts