Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Noted gadget blogger Ryan Block struck a nerve last week when he suggested that Apple's iPhone 4 contains yet another potential flaw, one that makes its glass back susceptible to shattering. Now, independent warranty provider SquareTrade has published figures suggesting that the iPhone 4's glass is more prone to breakage than that of its predecessor.

According to SquareTrade's numbers, 4.7 per cent of iPhone 4 users have reported accidental damage to their devices within the first four months of ownership; that's up from 2.8 per cent of iPhone 3GS owners over the same introductory period. Among those, broken glass is overwhelmingly the number one type of accident: 82 per cent of iPhone 4 owners reported cracked glass, compared to 76 per cent of iPhone 3GS owners. That works out to roughly 82 per cent more broken screens for iPhone 4 users than for iPhone 3GS users.

Quote:

Highlights of the study include:
  • iPhone 4 owners reported 82% more damaged screens in the first 4 months compared to iPhone 3gs owners.
  • Overall, the reported accident rate for iPhone 4s was 68% higher than for the iPhone 3gs.
  • An estimated 15.5% of iPhone 4 owners will have an accident within a year of buying their phone.

Source

Link to SquareTrade's report

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
it's ok, within 2 years, they'll be in line for the iPhone 5 so the failure point is moot.

in fact, it's a feature as it helps endow users with a sense of when it's time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Don't get how people damage the screens, never used a case on my 3gs or my 4g and no scratches on the screen. left pocket :>

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogon
View Post

Don't get how people damage the screens, never used a case on my 3gs or my 4g and no scratches on the screen. left pocket :>

Note the source and how it fails attributes the breakage to "accidents" instead of "design flaw." Sure, it probably has something to do with it being made with more glass.... but it also has something to do with sliding cases constantly scratching the glass, making it weaker, and then it shattering due to Apple's failure to design.

They attempt to pass this off as "broken screens," well.... I guess if the back of the phone also counts as a "screen," they have not attempted to mislead the public to make people believe that these breakages are "accidents."

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjminer View Post
Note the source and how it fails attributes the breakage to "accidents" instead of "design flaw." Sure, it probably has something to do with it being made with more glass.... but it also has something to do with sliding cases constantly scratching the glass, making it weaker, and then it shattering due to Apple's failure to design.

They attempt to pass this off as "broken screens," well.... I guess if the back of the phone also counts as a "screen," they have not attempted to mislead the public to make people believe that these breakages are "accidents."
No the real reason is because the 3G/3GS older iPhones have a metal ring surrounding the glass that gets hit first when the phones are dropped but the iPhone 4G's lack this ring due to the new 'stylized' design.

Protective Ring

No Protective Ring

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

The Iphone 4 is very suseptible to getting particles such as sand between the glass and phone, thus all the slide on cases being withdrawn from Apple stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubernewhacks View Post
No the real reason is because the 3G/3GS older iPhones have a metal ring surrounding the glass that gets hit first when the phones are dropped but the iPhone 4G's lack this ring due to the new 'stylized' design.

Protective Ring

No Protective Ring

The Iphone 4 also uses glass, which while scratch resistant is very very prone to shattering if dropped. The older iphones used plastic which scratches easier, but isn't as likely to shatter if dropped. I have kept my iphone 4 in my pocket with no case or cover for about 3 weeks till a case arrived and haven't had any scratching issues.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Yet another Apple flame-bait article.

I'm sure other smart phones are just as susceptible to shattering glass, not just the iPhone.

The reason the iPhone 4 has had more reported damages is because its easier to slip out of your hand compared to the 3G. If you get a nice case for it, slippy things dont happen as often.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Meh phones have defects no matter what kind of phone it is. At first it was funny to see/hear all the defects the iphone 4 was having. Now it's just like who cares? Hell even my droid was having issues the first few months of having it. The power/screen dimmer button went out. No biggie I just went into verizon and they replaced it. Apple replaces these "defective" phones correct?

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is why I got Squaretrade's warrenty, it's 4 bucks a month for complete coverage. I can do anything to it and they will replace it within a 5 day turnaround or they will send me a $600 check. It's only a $50 deductible for accidental damage/lost or stolen.

771 broken iPhones out of a survey of 20,000. That isn't too bad, I would like to see the numbers on how many of those 771 had a case on their phone.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadMau5 View Post
I HATE all the hate any successful product gets so much hate its unreal, any slight problem with it a it gets magnified so much.
1. We mostly hate Apple here so what do you expect
2. It isn't any successful product, just Apple stuff that we hate on (see 1)
3. They praised the phone for being made of all glass but are receiving issues about it so that would be Apple's fault for touting their new phone so highly and we come to find out it has flaw after flaw. If Jobs just said "Hey, here is our new iPhone, it is a great new phone that is a little better than our 3GS" then eh maybe we bashers could look past it more but he made it sound like the best phone ever created with no problems so he and his company deserve it.

Solution: get an Android powered phone or a 3GS

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadMau5 View Post
I HATE all the hate any successful product gets so much hate its unreal, any slight problem with it a it gets magnified so much.
The dos-based then the windows based PC is a highly successful product that has been in the market for years, and look how apple bashes the PC in thier advertisments. There is always two sides to the story, and the PC and Apple products are far from perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts