Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
PC Gamer
1,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbobb
View Post

Only on chapter 11 right now. but I give it a 7 gameplay, 8 graphics and 0 for multiplayer. Beings there isn't any. Good story also.

I agree with this but I have the graphics a 9. The SSAO and lighting in this game is amazing. Physx is a plus.

However, I enjoyed Mafia 1 more. But that doesn't make this game bad.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaaT
View Post

Tell me your opinions on Mafia 2:
  • Gameplay 9.5
  • Graphics 9
  • Multiplayer 0
  • What game would you compare it to? Grand Theft Auto

Gameplay:
From what I've seen so far (I'm only on Chapter 9), this game has a GREAT story line. I've heard that its not too "long" of a game, but the story is absolutely great. It will suck you in. I've only EVER beaten 2 games in their entirety. Need For Speed Underground 2, and Portal. Those are the only 2 games that have ever held my attention long enough. And it looks like I'm going to finish Mafia 2, its just an all around fun game to play.

Also, the realism that this game offers. It's not absolutely life like per say, but its definitely one of the best I've seen so far. I robbed a cafe' (in the demo), and came back later to eat there. The cops were there, and the lady behind the counter pointed at me and said, "That's the guy right there!". Then the police started chasing me

Graphics:
This game is easily a 9/10 for graphics. Just go look at some screenshots and video's. You don't even NEED the PhysX options turned on for this game to be beautiful. The PhysX on Medium does make a huge visual difference, too bad its a slide show with just my CPU doing the PhysX though
. The attention to detail is just amazing. You scrape by a mailbox, and your car is scratched!

Multiplayer:
Obviously a 0/10 for Multiplayer since it doesn't exist. That's fine with me though, the single player story is amazing enough. Multiplayer would have been fun, but I think it might have ruined it, just like it did for GTA IV.

What game would you compare it to?
I'd say this game resembles Grand Theft Auto the closest. It's a very similar story line and game play to the Grand Theft Auto series. It's just based in 1940's to 1950's time instead of the more current times that GTA has. So obviously the story is a LOT different, especially since this game is more towards the "Mafia" story instead of some random made up character in the "hood", or downtown New York (GTA SA / GTA IV).

All in all, Mafia II is a great game. If you are a fan of the GTA series, you'll enjoy it.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
  • Gameplay 6 - Car handling is terrible, gunplay is good though and the movement isn't bad. There are a lot of other annoyances for me though. Storyline is good, apart from the ending.
  • Graphics 9.5 - Looks great although there are a few random FPS dips where the game goes from 99% GPU usage to like 20%.
  • Multiplayer 0 - Doesn't have multiplayer.
Its sort of like GTA, but different too in a lot of ways. Its a huge sandbox world with nothing in it, which is pretty much the opposite to GTA.

·
PC Evangelist
46,987 Posts
Gameplay 6
Graphics 7

Though many people liked the graphics to me they are not that great. Also game-play was average to me.

·
GTX 1080 Ti Club
1,775 Posts
Awesome game with a great story. Only problem is that it's very linear and WAY too short. If you have never played/beat GTA IV then I would go with that. The story is a lot longer and it isn't linear like Mafia 2. You can get the additional content (Episodes from Liberty City) and it will definitely keep you playing for awhile.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Just Got the guinness world record for most use of the F-bomb in any game...201 times in the story alone lol

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Excellent, straightforward information pioneerisloud. I was debating between GTA IV and Mafia 2. This is tough. Does GTA have m.p.?

Honestly, given your system....

I would say Mafia II will likely run better. GTA IV does have multiplayer, and it has a more in depth story with a LOT of side missions you can do, plus the DLC. GTA IV is a great game, buggy....but great. The multiplayer can be a LOT of fun too (I've spent countless hours in MP free roam).

But considering you've got a 2.5GHz dual core, I really doubt you'll be too happy with GTA IV. I'd say get Mafia II until you get a Quad, or overclock your CPU insanely high.

EDIT:
Just for the record.....
My last system was similar to yours. Opteron 165 @ 3.0GHz (roughly on par with a 2.5GHz C2D), 4GB DDR400, and a HD4850. GTA IV was a slideshow no matter what settings. Mafia II was playable on Medium easily enough.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Honestly, given your system....

I would say Mafia II will likely run better. GTA IV does have multiplayer, and it has a more in depth story with a LOT of side missions you can do, plus the DLC. GTA IV is a great game, buggy....but great. The multiplayer can be a LOT of fun too (I've spent countless hours in MP free roam).

But considering you've got a 2.5GHz dual core, I really doubt you'll be too happy with GTA IV. I'd say get Mafia II until you get a Quad, or overclock your CPU insanely high.

EDIT:
Just for the record.....
My last system was similar to yours. Opteron 165 @ 3.0GHz (roughly on par with a 2.5GHz C2D), 4GB DDR400, and a HD4850. GTA IV was a slideshow no matter what settings. Mafia II was playable on Medium easily enough.

I'm waiting on a huge shipment of parts for a build with WC..

On this setup my minimum FPS on MW2 is 45 running highest setting at 1920x1080.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I'm waiting on a huge shipment of parts for a build with WC..

On this setup my minimum FPS on MW2 is 45 running highest setting at 1920x1080.

Oh, alrighty then. If you've got a tri core or better on its way, then I would definitely suggest you check out GTA IV. Keeping in mind it IS a buggy game, and horribly coded. It is still a blast though. And the story is ALSO very very good in it, and it has multiplayer modes too (a bunch of them).

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Is it any different if at all then on the console? (ps3?) Im ordering a Q9xxx cpu this week or next week. Im only 14 so I don't have a disposable cash wad.

I've got a secret for you.....I'm 24 and I don't have a disposable cash wad either

Honestly, I've heard from a good friend of mine that GTA IV runs a LOT smoother, and looks a LOT better on the PC than it does on the PS3. I guess even the console versions of the game are pretty horrible for performance.

With a quad core CPU, GTA IV has the ability to look absolutely gorgeous (for being a Grand Theft Auto title). If you notice the differences, it will likely be a night and day difference compared to your PS3.

I wouldn't spend retail price on it though
. Wait until it goes on a good sale, same as Mafia II (which I think is on sale for $36.36 right now).

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Sucked like 5 hours of driving in a 8 hour game. Probably worth it for like $20 not more, was a total disappointment.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

I wouldn't spend retail price on it though
. Wait until it goes on a good sale, same as Mafia II (which I think is on sale for $36.36 right now).

I was going to pick up Mafia 2 in the marketplace on here since there seems so be a huge abundance of them.
GTA IV is currently going for $19.99 through steam which seems like a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I was going to pick up Mafia 2 in the marketplace on here since there seems so be a huge abundance of them.
GTA IV is currently going for $19.99 through steam which seems like a good deal.

Yes, that's definitely a good deal. I spent $65 + tax for GTA IV on release day. I couldn't even play it until just a few weeks ago (properly), and I honestly feel that I've still put enough time into it to justify the $65. GTA IV will definitely have a lot more for you to do, and is WELL worth the $20.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts