Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mafia is an Hard game on PhysX. This is one of the first title that "really" need a dedicated PhysX card. And by this i mean a good one.

My GTS450 is really enjoyed with this game.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp1js View Post
Why does adding a 8600GT hurt the frames?
Because the gtx480 can render frames and do physx faster than the 8600gt can just do physx. The gtx480 is many times more powerful than the 8600gt. Honestly, with a good overclock on a gtx480, you don't need a dedicated physx card. My gtx480 OC to 900 core maxed the game out with high physx and I never saw below 45 fps. Usually in the 70-90's

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp1js View Post
Why does adding a 8600GT hurt the frames?
Just take a look at my thread if you want more info on this. I learned this the hard way :/

As skatpex99 noted the 8600 is such a weak gpu that it actually forces the Main GPU to wait for it to finish processing. Really sucks. Obviously with a GTX 480 the results are even more extreme then with my GTX 260.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mafia II sees a huge gain from a dedicated physx card because all of the cloth physics in game are calculated by your CPU if a dedicated physx card is not present. This is the reason why Mafia II, above all, sees such a high gain from a dedicated card. The 8600gt is just way too slow to keep up with the gtx 480 as others have said. Very interesting that it takes a gtx 275 to fully maximize physx performance in this game. IMO the pedestrian cloth physics are pretty unnoticeable and gives too high a performance hit. I personally removed all pedestrian cloth physics after chapter 7 and the game was so silky smooth afterwards.

·
Performance is the bible
7,130 Posts
This is what I get with tri-sli, everything on max:

And this is what I get when I took my gts250 (the cheap 512MB version) from the closet and put it as a dedicated card:

14 fps increase.
That is not bad.

I should get a couple of 465s in a couple of days and might test one of them as a dedicated physx card for this game.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
Errr so a dedicated GTS 250 is better than TRI SLI 470s???? ***??????
No I think he's running tri-sli WITH the GTS 250 as dedicated. Like I said in an earlier post, in Mafia II if you don't have a dedicated physx card, cloth physics get calculated by your cpu, slowing everything down. That is why he saw gains with the GTS 250. The stress was taken off his cpu and put on the GTS 250.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
This is what I get with tri-sli, everything on max:

And this is what I get when I took my gts250 (the cheap 512MB version) from the closet and put it as a dedicated card:

14 fps increase.
That is not bad.

I should get a couple of 465s in a couple of days and might test one of them as a dedicated physx card for this game.
75 FPS and it gives u a B ... total BS. Should be an AAA+++

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
75 FPS and it gives u a B ... total BS. Should be an AAA+++
Why? With only 75FPS, he can't run 3D (requires 120 FPS or more).

·
Performance is the bible
7,130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
Errr so a dedicated GTS 250 is better than TRI SLI 470s???? ***??????
No, you miss the whole point.

In tri, or even normal sli (which is easier to explain), all the cards are being loaded with the same data, and they share the work 50%/50% give or take (33% in tri to each card).

So lets say card 1 is doing 50%, and card 2 is doing 50% (lets not be picky, since in real world its not accurate).

Now if you put physx on the second card, it can't do his 50%, since he has to do for example 30% physx and 20% of his work when physx is at full force (like in mafia 2 on high).
This means that the sli is down by 30% of its total ability, in graphics ability terms, in order to process the physx.

If you have a strong card, for example a couple of 480s, the second card might only need to do 20% physx and 30% of his work, so you lose less.

This is also depends on how SLI and physx works together. Since if the cards might have to be equal, you might even lose as much as 50% of your SLI ability in order to process that much physx on one of the cards since the first card has to adjust to lower capacity to acompany the second card.

This is why a dedicated card takes the full load off the main SLI cards, so the SLI cards can do 100% of their time the graphics, and the physx card will work with the cpu to calculate, which will also lose some fps because they need to finish the calculations, but thats another matter.

·
Performance is the bible
7,130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h220wnzj00 View Post
No I think he's running tri-sli WITH the GTS 250 as dedicated. Like I said in an earlier post, in Mafia II if you don't have a dedicated physx card, cloth physics get calculated by your cpu, slowing everything down. That is why he saw gains with the GTS 250. The stress was taken off his cpu and put on the GTS 250.
You can also set in the nvida control panel to make the physx work on one of the sli cards (as not dedicated), which is better than cpu calculated physx, but it really hurts the sli a lot.

Without physx I can do a bit over 140 fps in 1920X1200.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
You can also set in the nvida control panel to make the physx work on one of the sli cards (as not dedicated), which is better than cpu calculated physx, but it really hurts the sli a lot.

Without physx I can do a bit over 140 fps in 1920X1200.
Actually even if you set physx to be on one of the cards in the nvidia control panel, the game will still calculate cloth physics on the cpu. It's the other stuff like explosions, rain ,etc that get calculated on the gpu. It's only when the game detects a dedicated gpu that it actually does cloth on the gpu. A website did some thorough testing on this but I don't have the link off the top of my head.

·
Performance is the bible
7,130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h220wnzj00 View Post
Actually even if you set physx to be on one of the cards in the nvidia control panel, the game will still calculate cloth physics on the cpu. It's the other stuff like explosions, rain ,etc that get calculated on the gpu. It's only when the game detects a dedicated gpu that it actually does cloth on the gpu. A website did some thorough testing on this but I don't have the link off the top of my head.
Well, didn't know that.
Nice to know.

Oh, and when I put full physx on the cpu, I get 52 fps. My 980x is crap
Just remembered I did that test.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts