Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just starting to hear about "magic chips".

yes, i know that each chip is a lottery when it comes to OCing, some can go higher and some cant, with all of them being able to hit a certain min OC mark.

My question is this.

about a week ago, i made a thread asking about how ocing keeps its data. and everyone told me that its stored in the mobo, meaning that if i oced a chip, and brought it to another mobo, it'd be back at stock settings. (right?)

now
Lets say you get some "magic chip" or (any OCing any chip for that matter,)

and lets say its stock speed is 3.6 ghz, and you oc'ed it to 5 ghz. (lets say its some hawswell or ivybridge chip, or some AMD chip for that matter, point is, any chip that can oc)

and you took that chip out after you know the stable settings to go to 5 ghz and that its a magic chip, meaning its in the top 1-5% in ocing cabilities.

if you took it out, and
1) and put it back into the same right, say 2 weeks or 1 year late, will it still oc to same settings?
2) brought it to another set up, (assuming a mobo that can oc) but different mobo, will it oc to the same settings?
3) brought it to another set up, same mobo/brand but not the mobo you used, will it oc to the same settings?

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Your overclocking settings and anything else that is changed in the BIOS are stored in the CMOS RAM, which is a tiny component on your motherboard used for storing data. This chip uses very little power and can last for years running off the CMOS battery which is also located on your motherboard. The CPU itself has no permanent storage capability. So:

1) Your settings will be saved, as long as the CMOS battery is still powering the CMOS chip. As soon as power is lost, the data will be wiped.
2) No, the data stored in the CMOS chip will be different.
3) No, same reason as above.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

Your overclocking settings and anything else that is changed in the BIOS are stored in the CMOS RAM, which is a tiny component on your motherboard used for storing data. This chip uses very little power and can last for years running off the CMOS battery which is also located on your motherboard. The CPU itself has no permanent storage capability. So:

1) Your settings will be saved, as long as the CMOS battery is still powering the CMOS chip. As soon as power is lost, the data will be wiped.
2) No, the data stored in the CMOS chip will be different.
3) No, same reason as above
so the data wont be stored,

but can you manually still set it to the same settings with that same CPU but different mobo? (but same brand/model)

like lets say i have a 4770k, and i was able to oc it to 5.0 ghz on a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO mobo.

now lets say i took out my 4770k, and brought it to another rig that also has a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO mobo.

would i still be able to hit 5.0ghz with same settings? (meaning i wont have to do stable tests and all that stuff again, but instead jump straight into the settings i know that was stable)
or does OC'ing also rely on "magic MOBO" also? meaning even though its same model, it wont oc to same settings, so you still have to do stablility tests and such?

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Yeah, you can manually set the same settings on a different motherboard.

If you take the CPU out of the MVI Hero, then place it into a different MVI Hero you should be stable at the same settings. There are slightly variances between even the same model of motherboard (no two products are EXACTLY the same), however most of the time they should not affect stability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts