Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats it? honestly how big of a difference does it make? and cant u oc ur card and get NEAR the same results?

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
7900GT has 256mb of ram, GTX has 512. Look at some benchies and decide for yourself it is worth the extra $200.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
As specs and benches go the 7900gt in my opinion is like a 7800gtx for half the price and better performance, and not even 3 months ago the 7800GTX was on top. so isn't it just a no brainer to get a 7900gt unless ur rich or enven a more hardcore gamer than i, and rich, lol.

:withstupi Just curious, aren't there some pipes or vertex shders usally disabled in gt's vs GTX/Ultra, isn't this also true for the G71s, or is it as said earlier, just a RAM/Cooler/Clock speed diff. I Know supposedly the gt and gtx have the same # of pipes but waht about shaders, if there are any disabled, can they be reinstated?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing I've read so far indicates any functionality was disabled for the GTs vs. the GTX. Same number of pipelines, shaders, etc.

The difference seems to be memory speed & amount, core speed, cooler and PCB. Along with the voltage regulator. The GTX gets 1.4V while the GT is only getting 1.2V.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
You enjoy that but without upgraded cooling and a volt mod its unlikely that you will get to the 650MHz core clock of my GTX, or the 700MHz core clock of my overclocked GTX LOL, also the memory on the GTX is stock at 800MHz but mine overclocked to 920MHz yesterday, though I think its a bit too soon to be overclocking this card.....the 7900GT will handle anything just fine though..

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

You enjoy that but without upgraded cooling and a volt mod its unlikely that you will get to the 650MHz core clock of my GTX, or the 700MHz core clock of my overclocked GTX LOL, also the memory on the GTX is stock at 800MHz but mine overclocked to 920MHz yesterday, though I think its a bit too soon to be overclocking this card.....the 7900GT will handle anything just fine though..

I have not had a chance to do it yet (I am in NY), but with my MCW60 I hear I will be able to get my 7900GT to about 800+Mhz core

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sold my eVGA 7800GTX 512 and bought the eVGA 7900 GT CO for $300. Using only NVTweak's 'Find Optimal Frequencies' option, I got:

Core 555/875 with Opty 146 @ 2.75 GHz
3DMark05 Score = 9730
CPU Score = 7759
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 41.7 fps
GT2 - Firefly Forest 29.4 fps
GT3 - Canyon Flight 48.1 fps
CPU Test 1 4.4 fps
CPU Test 2 6.1 fps

System Specs:
- DFI LANParty NF4 Expert
- Opteron 146
- 2 x 1GB OCZ Gold Edition PC4000
- EIDE Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax
- Dell 2405FPW
- Windows XP

So, I think most people will be satisfied with a GT. Anyways, if you really need/want more ... someone already hit 1GHz core speed with a 7900GTX!

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3355

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Has anyone even seen a 7900gt/gtx compatible cooler or is a 7800gt/gtx cooler like a NVsliencer 5 also compatible and just doesn't say so

the memory on the 7900gt isn't even cooled, i definatly agree it needs some upgraded cooling. it at least needs some passive Mem cooling but i'd perfer active cooling, even if i leave it at stock i'd really like to upgrade the cooling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts