Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new rig but that's not where the problem lies. I'm giving my old pc (see sig) to someone else, while attempting to format and reinstall windows I kept running into blue screens. I ran memtest and came up with several thousand errors! This is with my old corsair value ram and everything stock. Since I got my geil one my corsair has been residing in my friends 333fsb rig with flawless performance. I've also tried his old noname 333mhz ram and it too got thousands of errors. I have yet to tear the pc down and reseat everything but I have tried several combos of sticks and slots with no improvement. Have all three of these sticks gone bad overnight or is there something I'm missing? Any help appreciated.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
It's a DFI LP board...finnicky piece of hardware, that is...hmm...place one stick in (in the first orange slot) and run memtest. After that, place the other stick in the other orange slot and run memtest again. I think it's standard DFI setup procedure to place one stick in at a time. Go to DFI Street for more info.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is on the old Abit athlon xp system.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Have you tried upping the vdimm a notch?
Check the PS for stability too!!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried it at stock and at 2.75v. I may yet try 2.9 (which I ran these chips at for some time). I doubt it's the psu as its an OCZ 600w and seemed to work perfectly before I switched the ram back and went back to stock settings and stock cooling (which at stock has good temps). I'm wondering if it's nt a setting I missed or something else on the mobo or something thats causing this, it seems hard to beleive that two perfectly working sticks of ram went bad overnight. And yes, I did ground myself before I switched the ram (beleive me, I racked my brain making sure I didn't just think I remembered doing it). The bios on the NF7-S2 is not super complicated, I'm not quite sure what the hell is going on. Maybe later today when I tear it down and reseat everything it'll come out all right. Wish me luck guys.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I'd revert to default settings with a small vdimm bump and retest the RAM.
it you get errors, try testing them individually to determine if one is defective.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, solved the mem issue (the reseat did the trick) but I'm still getting a blue screen while attempting to install windows. The error is something like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, this happens after it loads all the files at the bottom and switches to the windows setup screen but before it gives me partition and format options. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is highly annoying as I'm sure you can imagine.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro

Ok, solved the mem issue (the reseat did the trick) but I'm still getting a blue screen while attempting to install windows. The error is something like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, this happens after it loads all the files at the bottom and switches to the windows setup screen but before it gives me partition and format options. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is highly annoying as I'm sure you can imagine.

That SUCKS... only way I've been able to resolve it is a full reload

Hope someone else has an easier fix!

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
that's still a ram error. I had it too at first when I had mushkin redline. I needed to pump in 3.2V before they would work properly. Try one more notch of vdimm to be sure ;-)

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thing is it's now passing like 4 full passes of memtest86 with no errors at all, this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um, nevermind, I fixed it. How I don't know but it's a pc, we're not meant to know, lol. I used partition magic to merge the two partitions and then it let me get far enough to delete the main partition and then bsod, tried again and got far enough to create a new partition then I hit enter as fast as I could and it installed windows no problem, it running fine, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts