Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last couple of days I've been having some major problems with my rig. Somewhere along the way I must have picked up something really nasty, which won't be fixed by a mere windows re-install. It seems this virus/worm has made itself at home in my .exe files, as I get a message saying "data corrupted" when I try to execute one. This goes for all progs, games, setup.exe's, etc.. After a reinstall of windows everythings fine until I try to in stall my first prog... then I get "data corrupted" message, and few restarts later it won't boot into windows.
So now I've allready formatted everything (all progs, games, .exe's) except my music and films... for obvious reasons...

Now things seem to be fine, except for my ping when playing tactical ops. As I have certain favorite servers which I allways play on, I can say this for certain. Generally my ping has gone up by 20-30 since "the incident".
I'm using avast anti-virus and sygate firewall right now - which I wasn't earlier, but shutting down both + their services didn't help.
Any recommendations here? Don't wanna loose all those precious beats

THX

·
Registered
121 Posts
perhaps your reinstalling infected software AFTER the reformat?

i would start by checking all programs with a good virus check on another computer before reinstalling on your main comp.

make sure everything is updated and recheck everything twice.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Make a partition.
Put movies and music on said partition.
Then format EVERYTHING.

And get a LOT more programs.
Heres what I have to use for optimization.

cwshredder = coolwebsearch remover
adaware se personal
spybot
etrust pestpatrol
microsoft antispyware
bazooka

avast antivirus
kaspersky antiviurs personal
avg antivirus

the cleaner = trojan remover

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

Make a partition.
Put movies and music on said partition.
Then format EVERYTHING.

That's exactly what I did
Ofcourse I deleted all my progs too, then downloaded them from the net AFTER the fresh install... didn't help
But thanks for the antivirus software,... I'll give those a try...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, everything except for my films and music....

Could films/music be a "host" for a virus?

Actually I've been wondering about the hard drive aswell, but the disk we're talking about is my raptor - which is basically brand new - yet I don't have the receipt anymore... sooooooo.... I don't really wanna accept that as truth quite yet

·
Registered
661 Posts
Maybe the harddrive has bad sectors on it and the micro$h|t partition ultility can't clean those bad sectors...

Try download Deriks Boot And Nuke, its a prog that passes through ur hd a certain amount of times to clean it. Its like zeroing basicly, and you can choose how many times (a.k.a passes) you want.

Then when it finishes try formating and see what happens

Derik's Boot And Nuke

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snip3rWarrior

Maybe the harddrive has bad sectors on it and the micro$h|t partition ultility can't clean those bad sectors...

Try download Deriks Boot And Nuke, its a prog that passes through ur hd a certain amount of times to clean it. Its like zeroing basicly, and you can choose how many times (a.k.a passes) you want.

Then when it finishes try formating and see what happens

Derik's Boot And Nuke

Cheers... I'll try that when all else fails...

edit: neither spybot nor ad aware found anything...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts