Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
I'm planning build a water cooler for high voltage server processors.
I'm new about overclocking and at computers at all, but i'm formed at chemical and know about some little stuff that can help an process of freeze someting.
I've been looking for some intel, before start do crazy stuff, and discovered that for use water in an cooler, we need use hidrolized water, because the ionized componets of comum water can cause electromagnetic interfearence on micro transistors.
So... my idea is, besides use hydrolized water, times in times, add ammonium chloride and barium hydroxide at the solution. The consequence of the reaction from hydrolized water, ammonium chloride and barium hydroxide is the drop of heat at the solution. However, the final solution will end with some salt.
My big question around all of this is... I'll have problems with EMI?
The salt produced is no ionic, that mean he, by himself, can't produce electromag fields, but can be interfered and carry another magnetic fields from another sources.
Someone can say to me, if the electromagnetic field generated from an processor with 4, 5 or 6 GHz can generate this kind of electron flow over the solution and fry everything?
My best regards for all, I'll be keep this post updated with my discoveries.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think before you have problems with EMI the Ammonium chloride will react with most metals in your loop and become conductive.
Also worth noting that amonium chloride is slightly corosive so would probably cause some level of corosion on your block and or fittings.

·
Enter Plasma
1,633 Posts
Hi folks.
I'm new about overclocking and at computers at all, but i'm formed at chemical and know about some little stuff that can help an process of freeze someting.
I've been looking for some intel, before start do crazy stuff, and discovered that for use water in an cooler, we need use hidrolized water, because the ionized componets of comum water can cause electromagnetic interfearence on micro transistors.
So... my idea is, besides use hydrolized water, times in times, add ammonium chloride and barium hydroxide at the solution. The consequence of the reaction from hydrolized water, ammonium chloride and barium hydroxide is the drop of heat at the solution. However, the final solution will end with some salt.
The salt produced is no ionic, that mean he, by himself, can't produce electromag fields, but can be interfered and carry another magnetic fields from another sources.
Someone can say to me, if the electromagnetic field generated from an processor with 4, 5 or 6 GHz can generate this kind of electron flow over the solution and fry everything?
I don't think you'll have much luck with a reply to your question in here. I've never heard any enthusiast ever in 10 years even thinking about exploring a potential EMI problem with water cooling.

Still, I'm following in case a reply comes out, it's interesting.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Hi folks.
It seems like you are worried about creating a battery out of the water loop that will generate enough current to produce a field that will cause interference, is that right? I don't think it would be possible to generate that much current in most common situations even with your unique coolant mix, people are more worried about their gear getting damaged than any current generated -- which is negligible.
As thomasj90 said, the corrosive elements will probably damage standard water cooling gear, so you will likely need to produce your own or source other products to use. (pumps, tubing, fittings, blocks, rads, res etc)
If you are making your own components you can make the entire system out of one metal, or maybe metals that are all very close to eachother on the galvanic series -- then there will be little current generated as there will be few reactions occuring, so the problem is moot.

Check out a site like : https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/battery.htm to see how batteries work (and take a look at the galvanic series) to choose your materials appropriately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts