Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when a new person to the fourm asks a semi-detailed question about their computer, like, my computer won't boot, what's wrong? And they don't mention anything about their system. It should be mand. for all members to fill out their system specs so we can better help them and understand their problem. Mainly aimed to new members when the sign up since most (if not all) of the older members have this information filled out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree, make the memory, cpu, graphics card, and motherboard sections mandatory. Making sections like case mandatory and all those other ones seems like taking it a bit far. I mean I don't even know what case I have and I do not want that to stop me from posting

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangPanda

I agree, make the memory, cpu, graphics card, and motherboard sections mandatory. Making sections like case mandatory and all those other ones seems like taking it a bit far. I mean I don't even know what case I have and I do not want that to stop me from posting

lol join the club, I just bought my case at fry's and put some uv in it.. no clue what name brand it is.. all I know was, it wasn't a Lian Li and I didn't pay more than 30 bux for it

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Eh, I don't know, what if someone really doesn't know what mobo or CPU they have and they just want to post a simple question about their mouse or monitor or something? We have to consider the people who really don't know ANYTHING about computers, I seriously know a few people who think the monitor is the whole computer (as in they had never even SEEN the tower until I opened up their cabinet and showed them, their dad set it up and they just assume the USB cables for the keyboard and the monitor cable were all for power.....o0 )

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Eh, I don't know, what if someone really doesn't know what mobo or CPU they have and they just want to post a simple question about their mouse or monitor or something? We have to consider the people who really don't know ANYTHING about computers, I seriously know a few people who think the monitor is the whole computer (as in they had never even SEEN the tower until I opened up their cabinet and showed them, their dad set it up and they just assume the USB cables for the keyboard and the monitor cable were all for power.....o0 )

In the case of people that do not know anything, maybe we could set up a FAQ on the site that lists them on how to find out all the information about their PC. That way we can help them much easier and much faster, sometimes I post please fill out your system specs etc. 3 or more times a day.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
I think we'd have to make a decision about whether we'd want the site to be oriented towards the newbies who don't know anything about computers and turn this into a tech support form, or if we'd want the forum to be more related to new technologies and overclocking and helping people who already know alot about computers achieve higher overclocks, discuss new technologies and maybe even organize games on our game servers, maybe we could even have two separate sections of the site? Anywhoo Im just rambling on at this point

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Quote:

I think we'd have to make a decision about whether we'd want the site to be oriented towards the newbies who don't know anything about computers and turn this into a tech support form, or if we'd want the forum to be more related to new technologies and overclocking and helping people who already know alot about computers achieve higher overclocks, discuss new technologies and maybe even organize games on our game servers, maybe we could even have two separate sections of the site? Anywhoo Im just rambling on at this point

I think it should not be required for crying out loud.....

Some people arent smart enough to figure out CPUZ or what Mobo they have in their 5 year old dell...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:

I see what you mean about catoring towards one side, the problem is we cannot have the second part unless we educate the first part. We need to teach the newbies about computers in order to make them techies.

Edit: The first step could be, Where did you get your computer?, If they pick dell or store of something it would ask manufacturer then model. If they pick a friend or from a person then it would ask manufacturer or custom built. If they select custom built right from the menu then it would take them to the edit system specs menu.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Take me for example.
when i joined i didn't fill in the system specs because i didn't know what they where until i asked then somebody told me to download CPU-Z.
The i filled them in because i got "help".
If you where to try something new if you really wanted to, i would probably suggest it tells them to download CPU-Z first (if they didn't know there system specs)
such as:
System Specs ... then (new line)
Don't know what system specs means or don't know your system specs?
then you click on it and it tells you to download CPU-Z then you can see what your specs are then get send back to fill in your system specs....
or something.
Anyway it would still be quite annoying if you where a noob and wanted to ask a simple quick question, which would require registering then simply posting or starting a new topic or simply just searching, NOT filling in a fairly long list of specs, but hey! it could help them to visit more regally since as they just learned something new from this site and just spend like quite a while filling in system specs.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't think it should be mandatory, but it should be emphasized. I think people would be discouraged having to fill out so much information during registration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It should be manditory. Anyone who is remotely interested in overclocking should have done the research to figure out what they have or at least be able to write something in there.

Additionaly it would be great to have the system specs section have a "hide" button so that 50% of the post content isnt specs. Better yet, link that crap in the postbit instead. If you want to know what someone has, click it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I thnk one of the programmers here should make a program that, once CPU-Z is run, it pulls the information off the computer and posts it immediately to your system profile. As in, make CPUz and that program mandatory downloads.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boostdemon

Additionaly it would be great to have the system specs section have a "hide" button so that 50% of the post content isnt specs. Better yet, link that crap in the postbit instead. If you want to know what someone has, click it.

That's bad for business, Dial Up customers won;t like that very well.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
I think it should be mandatory as this helps us to help them..Plus when users ask questions about there rig it can be confusing as we dont know what hardware there running...Maybe when you sign up you should have a page pop up asking for system specs, but its optional to fill out at that stage as they may be a real noob.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
should be manditory for definate!

ive filled my one out before ive got my pc, so if i ask any questions about what im getting people can quickly see all the parts im getting for a gaming rig

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Hey we all started out somewhere...unless you were born brilliant and pre-programmed !

I mean c'mon is this not leading towards elitism and exclusion of those wishing to expand their knowledge.

We should endevour to help newer members and those whom wish to advance thier overclocking skills to a higher degree.
We are here to support and help those who require it not to pander to a minority of eggheads so to speak who wish to isolate themselves in thier own little world.
This is a public forum !

In answer to the suggestion on mandatory system specs..As you can see I prefer to have them imbedded in my signature as do others.

cheers

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Uhhh.. How should I put this???

NO!!!

We dont want to make it dificult for the new members. Some of which might be joining up just to use the arcade or Maybe are signing up because they are smarter than all of you guys combined. They just want to spread that knowledge. They could be signing up because the represent A company like DFI and are here to help out the DFI users. Some members might be signing up because they play on our game server and want to report a hacker or that there is a moron in the server. These type of users do not need to have a system profile at all. Also the more stuff required at sign up the more likely a member will just say screw this site I am going to that other site that doesnt want to know what color socks I am wearing. We want our sign up process to be as painless as possible. If they do ask a question just nicely ask them to fill out there rig specs. It really isnt that big of a deal if they don't.

Your pal
Spooked

P.S I like the idea about the automatic sig filler outer thing. Maybe that could be apart of that program that we are not secretly working on that is like CPU-z. That will record yor overclock to a database on overclock.net and test for stability.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the thing is that i (YEARS AGO) i was a bit cluless on computers all together, but thanks to this site, things like memory timing and overclocking seem like things of the past.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
It has to be said after more thought I have realised that newbies that join may have no knowledge of computers and may not be able to fill out the System specs part. If they cant and its made mandatory then they wont be able to register.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts