Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of you were probably underwhelmed with UT3's Graphics, while impressive, they do have some pretty crappy aspects. This is going to show how you can help eliminate these aspects. Ill test this tweak out in GoW tomorrow. mind you all this could be my opinion, and i HATE blur off in teh distance....

Like MASSIVE Depth of field blur at long distances. Now the only thing i can say to Epic is FAIL, because the following console command will NOT work online.

Ok first, the .ini tweaks. (MyGames>Unreal Tournament 3>UTGame>Config for XP)

In UTEngine.ini Change the following

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22.000000
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=xxx.000000

Set your max Framerate to your refresh, for me its 120.

Scroll down or use the search shortcut (ctrl-f) until you find DetailMode Under SystemSettings. The Default is 2, set this to 0.

[SystemSettings]
DetailMode=0

There is a RivaTuner tweak that supposedly increases Texture Sharpness. In RivaTuner. In RivaTuner - Driver Settings->Direct3D->Mipmapping->LOD bias = -1.3 - I personally dont use this

Now for the fun one that doesnt work online
If you want a similar effect without the extra colour "definition" simply go into the UTEngine.ini and search for "DepthofField=True" and set it to "False"

Here it is, its long one and i suggest making a bind for it int the UTInput.ini

set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=0.3, scene_desaturation=0.05, DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=0.2, DOF_MaxFarBlurAmount=-0.4)

You can play with this part of the console command to your liking as well.

DOF_MaxFarBlurAmount=-0.4 I believe valid values for this are 1 down to -0.4. 1 being STUPID blurry, and -0.4 being what i use.

A Bind for this should look something like mine, i didnt use F10 because thats the console, and i didnt use F9 cause thats screenshot.

Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=0.3, scene_desaturation=0.05, DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=0.2, DOF_MaxFarBlurAmount=-0.4)")

Heres the results! Both sets of screenies were taken with the "Intense" Post Processing option. This tweak, reducing distance blur, really makes jaggies stand out, so feel free to add some AA to your liking (I have 8x in those screens). I DO believe both NVidia and ATI can force AA in the control panel in UE3 with recent drivers. NVidia owners feel free to throw crap tons of Digital vibrance if you like really really bright colours and contrast

Facing Worlds -
Before

After

Hydro -
Before

After

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i cant really see the diff but karma

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
IMO before looks alot better

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
The "before" pics makes it looks like the fov has more depth. The "after" pics just remove that, and it all looks more flat to me. I like the unaltered version.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i guess everyone here likes their view of the target all blured and unrecognizable across the map. and its a picture, its GONNA look flat

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In all honesty, you CAN put FarBLur at 0.2 and make the game look really close to teh preview screens.......

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Lowest settings & non-native blurry resolution FTW!

Honest question: Who plays UT3 for the graphics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts