Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to make a flash drive that is 16GB able to install Windows on?

I want something to mess with on my OS so I can use for OCing tests and what not

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah it is possible. 16gb is rather small but xp can fit on it. my 750i is bootable from a usb flash drive and format the device ntfs and install windows on it from setup disc.

But it has to be a fast flash drive like the ready boost one's to be any good IMO

·
Registered
512 Posts
yeah.. I did it... you have to format your flash drive to be bootable... and then you install windows xp on it. I flashed my bios on my geforce 8800gts g92 by booting from flash drive.. its not easy to format it like that i have the proggy still. You may be able to install winblows on it without formatting.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im just thinking such an install would be cool to do some OC tests on so I dont corrupt my main windows drive...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
Im just thinking such an install would be cool to do some OC tests on so I dont corrupt my main windows drive...
The best way would be to take a drive and create 2 partitions on it. One for the OS and the other create a image using a program like acronis then if you screw up the OS just do a restore.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
^^^???? 32GB, 16GB Small????
I have a complete XP Pro install on a bootable 4GB stick
Th OS is actually down to about 1.7GB and the rest is all "Toolbox" & Diagnosis type stuff.

The minimum you need for the OS install (W/ SP3) is a 4GB stick-once you've got it on there you can use XPlite or other similar program to trim off the "useless" stuff you don't want' -MovieMaker, Outlook Express and Frontpage are first on the block

If you feel like being extra crafty once you've got it trimmed down you can save that as an ISO and do a restore on a 2GB stick- you just have virtually no headroom left over; which is why I stuck with the 4GB!

Works great,
I can use it on any computer anywhere as long as I can get into BIOS- select that as the bootable drive and VoooM offf I go! OK smart-arse - obviously I meant nearly any computer!

As far as something just for doing some OC testing -without even worrying about corrupting your "testing" USB drive;
just use a Live CD and boot from that- heck you can take all of your HDDs out completely!
Then OC test to your hearts content! with no worries of corrupting your "real" drives either.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpcCdr
View Post

^^^???? 32GB, 16GB Small????
I have a complete XP Pro install on a bootable 4GB stick
Th OS is actually down to about 1.7GB and the rest is all "Toolbox" & Diagnosis type stuff.

The minimum you need for the OS install (W/ SP3) is a 4GB stick-once you've got it on there you can use XPlite or other similar program to trim off the "useless" stuff you don't want' -MovieMaker, Outlook Express and Frontpage are first on the block

If you feel like being extra crafty once you've got it trimmed down you can save that as an ISO and do a restore on a 2GB stick- you just have virtually no headroom left over; which is why I stuck with the 4GB!

Works great,
I can use it on any computer anywhere as long as I can get into BIOS- select that as the bootable drive and VoooM offf I go! OK smart-arse - obviously I meant nearly any computer!

As far as something just for doing some OC testing -without even worrying about corrupting your "testing" USB drive;
just use a Live CD and boot from that- heck you can take all of your HDDs out completely!
Then OC test to your hearts content! with no worries of corrupting your "real" drives either.

you quite obviously don't have a LIVE disk, you can't install programs on a live disk, and running EXEs sometimes doesnt work due to .net protocols missing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinitegrim
View Post

wait i've always wanted to try this so what would be considered a fast flash drive, i have a 4gb PNY one is that good?

Generally, the drives that are "ready boost" ready should be ok to use, they also have to incorporate wear leveling. some examples would be the Patriot Xporter XT series, and PNY XLR8 drives, with their fast read and transfer speeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts