Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions about SLI: If you only have one video card (PCI 16x), you can still run your system on that, right? Also, when you get the 2nd card for it, does it have to be the EXACT same card? Or does it just have to be the same chipset, i.e. two geforce 6800s from two different manufacturers? Or can it even be two different chipsets entirely i.e. radeon and nvidia working together?

Also, will SLI really be noticibly better than just straight up PCI 16x setup? I think I once read that even AGP doesn't utilize it's full capacity... so is there really an advantage to making the leap into this uber expensive setup?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by BFRD

You want the exact same cards

hmm, that's kind of a drag, especially if you pick out an expensive one. I notice that ATI seems to be dominating the PCI 16x selection, at least where I was searching. Is there a reason for that? Also, is any PCI 16 card SLI ready? Or is it only certain ones?

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbescup

hmm, that's kind of a drag, especially if you pick out an expensive one. I notice that ATI seems to be dominating the PCI 16x selection, at least where I was searching. Is there a reason for that? Also, is any PCI 16 card SLI ready? Or is it only certain ones?

At this point only Nvidias support SLI.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philwn

Nvidias Gefore 6800GT BFG is dominating

that's an AGP card right? Do you guys think that PCI16 is really the way to go right now, or is AGP still going strong and there's no reason to go for the new setup?

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

ANY nvidia or just certain models?

Certainly only PCI-e and I don't know if they all do. I would guess, no. Just search on newegg, under video cards for SLI.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

interesting stuff. So, given the choice between two 6600s in SLI configuration (approx $350 for cool ones) or a sweet 6800GT AGP (also about $350) which one would YOU take?

Personally I would take the GT, but I am not all that thrilled about SLI.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo42024

The two 6600 s would be a little faster.

I would like to see that. (Not doubting, I would just like to see it)

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
ok...someones been a little misinformed

SLi only works on Nvidia 6 series PCI-E cards, but you DONT have to run 2 on an sli board. if you do run 2 cards, they need to be the same chipset and card, but not nessasarly the same company. and 2 6600 will not beat a 6800GT, unless they are 6600GTs which will be a bit faster.
right now pci-e is not nessasary, but good because pretty soon AGP will be replaced with new cards all pci-e.
so get yourself an SLi mobo, but u dont have to get 2 cards strait off the bat, u can wait till you have funds. get an 6800GT and then get another one when you get the money

1 - 15 of 15 Posts