Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get parts looked up and trying to obtain a good WC loop for now it just needs to cool my CPU but later it will extend onto my GPU (2 or 3 GeForce GTX 285 or better). The other hardware I will have is:
Mobo: EVGA X58 3way SLI Classified
CPU: i7 930 (overclocked)
RAM: Mushkin PC3-16000 998708 or 998732 if able to obtain a set (3x2GB) if not then a set of G.Skill Perfect Storm PC3-17066 (still debating)
GPU: GeForce GTX 285 or better x2 or x3
HD: Intel X25-M 80GB and a 1 or 2 TB storage HD
Case: Lian-Li A-77F
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1250W

Mostly this desktop will be used mostly for some good gaming. Video editing will be a little but not near as much as gaming.

For the WC system I have a couple choices in each I need to choose from and are listed in order I prefer:
Pump: Laing D5strong D5 810N, Koolance PMP-450S (same as the Laing), MCP-655
CPU Block: Koolance CPU-360, EK Supreme HF, Apogee XT Ultra
Rad: HW Labs Black Ice GTX 360, Thermochill PA120.3
Fans: If I get the BI GTX 360 then either Scythe SlipStream 1900RPM 110CFM 37dBA, Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000RPM 133.60CFM 45.9dBA or Cooler Master R4-C2R-20CR-GB 2000RPM 90CFM 19dBA
If I get the Thermochill PA120.3 then either SilenX iXtrema Pro Fan IXP-76-18 1400RPM 90CFM 18dBA then if lower RPM be better SilenX iXtrema IXP-76-14 1200RPM 72CFM 14dBA
Res: Do not really know what one to obtain haven't looked into one yet.

Any thoughts? I know I still have a lot to narrow down but obtaining the computer parts and the WC parts will be obtained over this summer since I don't have a lot of spare time during summers it would take me most the summer to get the rig together and set-up if I had all the parts next week.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I cant help with the majority of your question, however just on the CM R4 fan

Here is an email I got from my PC supplier regarding the R4s

Good morning,

I can confirm that the A12025-20RB-3BN-F1 and the R4-L2R-20CK-GP fans are one and the same.

Coolermaster had originally used optimal theoretical numbers as their quoted rating of 90 CFM, however extensive external testing by review sites and individual users has shown the real world figure to be closer to 70CFM. CoolerMaster have since distanced themselves from the original numbers by renaming the fans (from Silent LED to SickleFlow) and using the lower CFM figure in their current product listings.

Current supplies in Australia still feature the original packaging, so as to minimise confusion â€" we had kept the original product listing specifications to match the packaging.

I have now updated the specifications on our website, hopefully to alleviate any additional confusion surrounding this convoluted matter.

Best regards,

They are still a good fan by just expect a CFM of 90...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Looks good, I like that you've already done a lot of research. Here's what I'd choose:

PUMP: MCP655 or MCP355
Check the buyer's guide in my sig for why I prefer the 355

CPU: That Koolance CPU-360 will be a top performer

RAD: BI GTX360 <-- it's the king with high speed fans.

FANS: The Ultra Kaze's will do a good job (stay away from the cooler master's and slipstream's). Personally, I'd go with some Panaflo's or Delta's on a fan controller. Definitely get 38mm (thickness) fans no matter what.

RES: check the buyer's guide in my sig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I saw those delta's but they are a good chunk of change for a fan even though they probably are the top dawgs. I'll look into the panaflo's you suggested because oddly as it may sound thats the first time I saw those fans or heard of them.

Also is it possible to hook up the Ultra Kaze's on a fan controller like you suggested you would do with the Panaflo's or Delta's?

May I ask why you would stay away from the SlipStreams? Is it mostly because they are only 25mm thick or is there some other problem they have?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
if you need a mcp 355 pump i have one. i also have the xscp pump top resy. good luck with your build

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootss45
View Post

May I ask why you would stay away from the SlipStreams? Is it mostly because they are only 25mm thick or is there some other problem they have?

When I was researching radiator fans for my build, I remember a lot of people suggesting against getting the slipstreams. If I remember correctly, it's because they don't have good static pressure. Them being 25mm doesn't help their case either. If you have the room for 38mm, then that's the way to go. If only 25mm will fit, then Scythe Gentle Typhoons, Yate Loons (curved blade ones), and Zalman ZM-F3's are all good choices. I'm using the Gentle Typhoons currently and their performance to noise ratio is unmatched.

For the most part you can put any fan on a controller as long as it has a 3-pin connector. You just have to make sure the fan watts doesn't exceed the controller watts.

EDIT:
You can use this to figure out the watts of whatever fans you're looking at. Just put 12 for the volts and whatever the amps is for the fan you want.

Now let's say you had this controller and these fans. Since the controller can handle 20 watts per channel, you'd be able to connect 3 of the fans (in parallel) to each channel. I use these to connect 2 fans to each one of my channels.

EDIT:
In regards to zpliptzy's post below. There's also some of those Feser Triebwerks that are a little more powerful. And I also found these Delta Beasts, holy ***** is all I got to say about them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
+1 for the gentle typhoons. I've got 10 of them in my case, cooling my 480 rad and my BI 240 rad, and the noise is a very nice breeze...almost negligible at full speed. Panaflos have better static pressure, but are also louder. If you're not on a budget, Feser Triebwerks are the best, just due to their insane static pressure, decent cfm, and low dbs.
To future proof your loop, go with an mcp355. It has among the highest head pressures, if not the highest head pressure available. You want head pressure, because this allows the liquid to go through a longer path before it gets back to the pump. If you planned on keeping this a strictly cpu loop, the mcp655 would be best due to it's high flow rates, but it just can't compare with the 355's head pressure. Since you're planning on upgrading, definitely get a 355.
Everything else you've got there looks great though...your res should be personal preference. If you don't need it showing, this is a very low profile res that can fit just about anywhere in your case. If you'd like your res to sit in a bay, there's plenty to pick from...it really would just be personal preference at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all these Fans would there be any difference in say a 2000RPM, 1900RPM orr a 3000RPM all at 110CFM when using them on a BI GTX360? I read somewhere that someone said that the higher the RPM the better but if they are all pushing 110CFM does it matter their RPM?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts