Overclock.net banner

man...what is wrong with my laptop???!!!

8574 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  VCheeZ
ok. i have a 700m with a 40 gb hd, nec 6500a dvdrw, and 2 x 256mb sticks.

i bought another 700m for my mom with a 80 gb hd, nec 6650a dvdrw and 1 x 512 mb stick

i switched the HD and put it in my laptop and i cant install windows to save my life! im constantly getting the following errors:

"INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 14"

"file \\i386\\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. the error code is 32768"

or after windows inspects my hardware configuration, it reboots back to POST.

ive tried booting to a win98se bootdisk and doing FDISK and FORMAT, but it only makes a 10gb partition. could this have anythign to do with it?

***!!!!!! i need to get my laptop back up and running to do homework? HELP PLEASE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,111 Posts
have u checked the hd in ur bios config? it must be properly detected and then u can proceed with the rest...btw, what is the make and model of ur laptop

· Registered
1,111 Posts
y do u want to do a low level format? its not required...what u might want to do is especially if u dont require the files on the hd...throw in the resource cd and reformat the partition using the xp installer..

usually when inf or i386 errors surface it means IO error with a system component with regards to windows. ur bios can see it but ur windows is confused because its suppose to be somewhere else but its somewhere else..so u might want to repair first the installation but i would personally recommend that u completely reformat using the xp installer since it will remove all trace driver elements from previous laptop

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.