Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm new to the overclocking lets start off with saying i'm a total idiot but i'm trying so i like to think i got this some what down.

My build:

Windows 10 home OS
I5-6400 Non-k 2.7
Corsair 8gb x 2 Ram
Asrock pro4s Mobo
Gigabyte 970 gtx g1 gaming
Ssd Patriot Pryo 60gb
HDD 7200 rpm 1tb
HDD 5200 rpm 500gb
OLD - 10000 RPM WD raptor drive
Corsair CX 750 Semi-modular

Now i have followed an overclocking guide and have messed with the bios to start out. Now CPUID is stating i have a 3915xxMHz core speed, but windows is saying

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 cpu @ 2.70Ghz 1.80Ghz

So i'm not to sure what to believe or even how to see if i even got the over clock successful.

Thats one of my issues Second I ran Aida 64 trial version for about 8 hours (mind you i'm going for a 24/7 stable OC) and it didn't seem to have any issue it was reflecting about a 45 degree Temp but again i'm not too sure on the temp but its a Asrock OC but when i try to run a few programs and also Download anything from the internet at the same time the system will Shut down i'm not to sure what i'm doing wrong or even how to check what the errors were

Like i said i'm new to overclocking and tried my best to not over look anything but hey i'm a noob so any ideas or thoughts on this issues would help I'm interested in trying to higher with my over clock but I'm not too sure if i can keep going

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
I can answer the first part. Check aida/hwinfo/cpuid/cpuz, anything besides windows will give you the true speed. Mine is at 4.5 but under task manager it shows as 4.5 but the live speed goes up to like 5.6 or wtv haha.

As far as shutting down i do believe that its not stable. Mine did the same a few days ago, while running chrome after the pc was running for a few hrs it just shut off and started blinking the power light. I had my voltage set to override so it was getting full voltage all the time, ive now changed that to adaptive and added more voltage. Did an hr of intel stress test yesterday and it didnt crash (the day before after 20mins the pc would restart itself)

Im a noob as well and it can be daunting and frustrating and very time consuming but people here are quite helpful. Someone will probably chime in even more.

Might help knowing the voltage and what you set the multiplier to in the BIOS.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Your PSU is going to hold your overclocks back and make the system less stable, so you are not going to be able to overclock very much.
Why you should not buy a Corsair CX750
And there's the corsair hating guy haha. Just messing with you, but yea a psu has the biggest impact (obviously) on system stability.

Shilka, what do you think of the new RM1000i yay or nay? EVGA and super flower are hard to find in France, its a technologically dead country. Thers a company called LDLC that has its own PSUs made by seasonic but it uses taiwanese and japanese caps, while the RMi series now uses all japs.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
I dont hate Corsair i hate rubbish there is a difference.
In fact the one company i truly hate is actually Thermaltake and not Corsair.

As for the RMi the RMx is a cheaper version so if you cant get a Leadex or G2 get an RMx as thats just as good.
Or you can get the RMi if you want.

Do you even need a 1000 watt PSU?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch Thats a strong review and it looks to be a great starting point to investigate now that only brings more problems to light because i we referred on going corsair because top end builders always go for the corsair but alright i'm still within my 30 from new egg and so what PSU should i go for keep in mind this is a budget build so i'll have to stay within the price point for this PSU and suggestions or other courses to find what that issue maybe? Thanks again for the help guys!

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

I dont hate Corsair i hate rubbish there is a difference.

As for the RMi the RMx is a cheaper version so if you cant get a Leadex or G2 get an RMx as thats just as good.
Or you can get the RMi if you want.

Do you even need a 1000 watt PSU.
Probably not but considering MOST psus are the most efficient between 30-50% its not a big deal for me. I usually can get a 1000w psu for the same price as a 850 or 750. Plus at low wattages they stay cooler, and hopefully last longer. Hell i had a tx650 RMAed after 5 yrs cuz it started to stink got a new one that i use as a spare.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhonda View Post

Ouch Thats a strong review and it looks to be a great starting point to investigate now that only brings more problems to light because i we referred on going corsair because top end builders always go for the corsair but alright i'm still within my 30 from new egg and so what PSU should i go for keep in mind this is a budget build so i'll have to stay within the price point for this PSU and suggestions or other courses to find what that issue maybe? Thanks again for the help guys!
750 watts is way overkill for your system and a good 400 watt PSU can power it with no problems.
All you really need is a good 550 watt PSU instead of a mediocre 750 watt PSU.

Last Corsair does not make any of the PSU´s they sell so you are not getting anything made by Corsair in the first place.
Almost every brand out there has their stuff made by an OEM in China.

The brand does not matter the least as long as whats inside is good and what you have is a downgraded CWT PUG-B which is mediocre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Probably not but considering MOST psus are the most efficient between 30-50% its not a big deal for me. I usually can get a 1000w psu for the same price as a 850 or 750. Plus at low wattages they stay cooler, and hopefully last longer. Hell i had a tx650 RMAed after 5 yrs cuz it started to stink got a new one that i use as a spare.
The RMi is bit overpriced and i think the RMx is better bang for buck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also The deepcool Dukase has a build in basement which helps for the look of the build i mean am i gonna come across a PSU that can even stand the heat in there? or should i consider adding Fans? LMAO sorry the noob in me

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
Quote:

also The deepcool Dukase has a build in basement which helps for the look of the build i mean am i gonna come across a PSU that can even stand the heat in there? or should i consider adding Fans? LMAO sorry the noob in me
Does the case have a filter in the bottom of the case the PSU can draw air in from.
See my last post if you have not already.

Another thing you should know a few weeks back another OCN user had his CX750 kill his video card.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what i found out looking around the internet that i got an over kill of a PSU it saddness me for being such a millennial

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
Quote:

Thats what i found out looking around the internet that i got an over kill of a PSU it saddness me for being such a millennial
Instead of buying wattage you dont need buy quality.
It does not matter if you get a 2000 watt PSU if it cant do its rated power or cant give you clean and stable power.

How much do you want or can spend on a new PSU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Omg now i feel like i'm sitting next to a killer ok so I'll start looking for a new PSU and yes it does have a Filter at the bottom of the case i have the PSU flipped upside down to drop in from that filter

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
You are typing way too fast to see my edits i think.
Please see my last post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Newegg is willing to RMA the PSU for the price i got it for so 86.99 so what i have to play with i Do have my Older PSU its a 600W its a WT 600qv2 i bought it from a local store

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

The RMi is bit overpriced and i think the RMx is better bang for buck.
Over here they are identical in price (weird i know haha)

And yea quality over quantity or both haha. But also don't forget to add room for OCing and headroom. Honestly it is never ever a good idea to run a psu at full tilt, meaning if your system uses 400w don't get a 400w psu. I always tell people buy QUALITY but efficiency as well.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
You can get an EVGA SuperNova G2 550 watt for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83V01630&cm_re=EVGA_SuperNOva_G2-_-17-438-053-_-Product

A Corsair RMx 550 watt for $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139144&cm_re=Corsair_RMx-_-17-139-144-_-Product

The 650 watt versions are cheaper if you use rebate cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&cm_re=Corsair_RMx-_-17-139-143-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054&cm_re=EVGA_SuperNOva_G2-_-17-438-054-_-Product

Both of these are much better made then the CX750 they have better/higher efficiency and give much better/cleaner more stable power.
650 watts is enough power to let you add another GTX 970 to your system and still have power to spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Over here they are identical in price (weird i know haha)

And yea quality over quantity or both haha. But also don't forget to add room for OCing and headroom. Honestly it is never ever a good idea to run a psu at full tilt, meaning if your system uses 400w don't get a 400w psu. I always tell people buy QUALITY but efficiency as well.
The RMi uses a better fan so if they are the same price get an RMi.
At least they are better then the old overpriced mediocre RM´s.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jayhonda

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

You can get an EVGA SuperNova G2 550 watt for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83V01630&cm_re=EVGA_SuperNOva_G2-_-17-438-053-_-Product

A Corsair RMx 550 watt for $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139144&cm_re=Corsair_RMx-_-17-139-144-_-Product

The 650 watt versions are cheaper if you use rebate cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&cm_re=Corsair_RMx-_-17-139-143-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054&cm_re=EVGA_SuperNOva_G2-_-17-438-054-_-Product

Both of these are much better made then the CX750 they have better/higher efficiency and give much better/cleaner more stable power.
650 watts is enough power to let you add another GTX 970 to your system and still have power to spare.
Shilka i think your a God sent thank you for the info I'll start looking and get the RMA process started with Newegg

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

The RMi uses a better fan so if they are the same price get an RMi.
At least they are better then the old overpriced mediocre RM´s.
Yea hopefully i can sell it to a store or someone here in France or maybe just keep it as a spare who knows. Can't have too many spare PSUs laying around.

I wish evga and superflower and other high quality PSUs were more available in europe. Seasonic is but its quite expensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts