Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is about both operating systems, so I decided to post it here in the main area.

First, I have a laptop (as seen below in my sig) with a Marvell Yukon ethernet card. I think I have heard the sk98lin module will get it working, but I don't know much about doing that. I'm trying to get it to work in Fedora Core 4, as it does not work out of the box for some reason. So I'm wondering if the module I mentioned will make it work, and if so, how do I create it or whatever. I'm somewhat familiar with very basic Linux commands, but other than that, I am a total newb. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I will not be able to switch to Linux without internet! (Oh, and I have tried using FC5 test 2, but it does not work either, so I'm not sure which FC I'll use, but I'm not sure if that matters? Actually, sound does not work in FC4, so I may need help with that if I use the more stable FC4.)

Second, is about Windows XP. So I found a few FAQs on this site about optimizing it, (perhaps I should give them reps later, thanks guys!) and it has gone quite well. Just two questions I have though.

One is about stopping this one process from starting. Basically, I have determined that the media buttons on my laptop require the use of two processes: an IOhook process and a Key Function process. However, only the IOprocess needs to be running at boot, since it will launch the Key Function process when a media button is pressed. I guess the fncky.exe process, as it is called, simply determines my preferences and executes them or something. Anyways, the only problem is that the IOhook automatically launches the fncky.exe at startup, and I would like to automate its termination (or stop IOhook from launching it in the first place) so I don't have to do it myself everytime.

Also, I got it down to using only 94.4 MB of RAM (pic attached)! Lately, however, it seems to be using more than that, even if I stop the very few processes I have left, it still only gets down to 98 MB
All I use now are the Media button processes as mentioned above, and the process that allows me to scroll with my touch pad. I'm wondering why the sudden jump of over 4MB, when the number of processes is still the same (actually less, since I had the Media Buttons and Touch Pad on when I took the pic).

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Well, First here I have a link to a GREAT optimization guide.

Lists it in 4 different levels as to how far down you want to strip the OS to run on.

As for getting rid of the stuff to load at start, Get the run command up, And load "Msconfig". From there you can edit what will/won't load at startup along with a few other nifty little options.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should have explained, but yes, I already used msconfig to get my RAM so low. Whether I have fnkcy.exe checked or not though, the IOhook process launches it anyways. It will also do so if I push one of the media buttons, so I would rather it not be loaded at boot, but this will only work if the IOhook is checked, so I need some way to stop IOhook from starting the other process at boot.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind about Linux, I guess. I heard about Ubuntu, and it sounded nice and friendly. Now my ethernet and sound card both work, and I still have the Gnome Desktop environment to play around in... yay for "humanity"! (Ubuntu)

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
you should use red hat 9, its just like windows cept in linux flavor and has the best hardware support.

as for windows, try uninstalling the mouse driver and use the generic windows driver.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You used depends to see if iohook requires the other?
Whether or not it needs it (in a true sense) is separate from whether or not the service itself calls the offending service no matter what you do.

You could hack around in the registry, but I have a feeling this is a hard call.

You could drop a batch file in your startup that pauses and then kills the evil process in question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts