Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old GPU was sitting around so decided to pop it in the living room and built a cheap water cooling system for it. I am not by any means proud of it. Ebay pump and reservoir, MCW80 block that was on there, ebay 120mm aluminum radiator, old hoses, water and some ECX coolant. For some crazy reason it was building a ton of pressure and eventually cracked the pump housing or was leaking from the barbed fittings. I replaced the ebay pump with a Phobya DC12-220 and put it on a fan controller so I could turn it down a bit. Everything was fine for a week then bam started leaking a bit from one of the tube/fitting connections. I ordered a black ice copper rad to replace the aluminum one just in case and today when I checked the fill hose, it had a ton of pressure still in it. ***???

I'm starting to think it's the layout or something, maybe 'yall can help! I am not a fan of having the reservoir at the bottom, nor having the reservoir horizontal, but it was the best I could do. HALP!

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has the block ever been taken apart, like to be cleaned?

It could either be clogged, or reassembled incorrectly with the inlet blocked off by the impingement plate.
A few times over the years, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few times over the years, I'll check it out.
The answer is "aluminum radiator". Look at the pics to see what happens when ya use aluminum rads and copper blocks.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

https://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/copperaluminumcorrosion.jpeg
The block was clogged. I remember the coolant additive having a reaction because there was still a little vinegar in the system from cleaning it, there was all types of blue dried up coolant in there. I am cleaning out everything very good, replacing the radiator with the new copper one (I realized that but there didn't seem to be any corrosion yet, i'm sure the additive helped there) and reinstalling. Thanks!

·
OC...D
27,888 Posts
if the rad is aluminium and the coolant is below pH 6.6-ish, the pressure was gas likely generated from galvanic reaction. Is the rad in contact with the case chassis (completing a second conductive circuit)? If yes... can't do that with ALu rads. Thee conditions for galvanic corrosion/reaction:
1) a conductive liquid
2) redox potential difference with other metals (and Alu is quite reactive)
3) The anode (Alu) needs to be in electrical contact with the cathode (any metal with a higher redox potential) by any means other than the electrolye (liquid).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the rad is aluminium and the coolant is below pH 6.6-ish, the pressure was gas likely generated from galvanic reaction. Is the rad in contact with the case chassis (completing a second conductive circuit)? If yes... can't do that with ALu rads. Thee conditions for galvanic corrosion/reaction:
1) a conductive liquid
2) redox potential difference with other metals (and Alu is quite reactive)
3) The anode (Alu) needs to be in electrical contact with the cathode (any metal with a higher redox potential) by any means other than the electrolye (liquid).
Yeah I'm thinking it was the aluminum, although no, it was mounted to the fan which was mounted to the case. I took everything possible apart and cleaned everything thoroughly, including the new radiator, hoses, pump, etc, w/ vinegar and scrubbing, rinsed thoroughly, ran distilled overnight, drained it and refilled with distilled and ECX coolant. Clear as day and no pressure, thanks.

·
OC...D
27,888 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking it was the aluminum, although no, it was mounted to the fan which was mounted to the case. I took everything possible apart and cleaned everything thoroughly, including the new radiator, hoses, pump, etc, w/ vinegar and scrubbing, rinsed thoroughly, ran distilled overnight, drained it and refilled with distilled and ECX coolant. Clear as day and no pressure, thanks.
:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts