Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is a long one, but stick with me please...

So about 6 months ago I decided to build my own custom rig.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
ASUS p4p800SE
1 GIG Corsair Value Ram DDR3200 Dual Channel
400WAT PSU
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
2x200GB ATA100 HDS
FX5500 256MB AGP 8x
WIN XP Pro w SP2

I couldnt get good performance with my videocard but since it was a cheap card, I decided that the performance issues were beacuse of the card. So I bought a Radeon x700PRO 256MB AGP 8x. Uninstalled all the old drivers, plopped the card in, installed the latest drivers. Horrible horrible performance. I would get decent FPS at MAX settings on Counter Strike source (60FPS) but once I hit action in the game, I would drop to 15 FPS and it would be rediculously slow.

Phased by this lack of improvement, I formatted my HD and reinstalled windows...I loaded up my game again, and It still does the same drop in FPS. I changed the settings to low, medium, high etc. and it still acted the same. Really frustrated, I decided that maybe my value RAM was the problem. I then bought some Corsair XMS 2x512 Sticks, stook them in, made sure the timings were correct....no change.

I was at the end of the rope.... I decided then that maybe my MOBO was the problem? So I bought a MSI 865PE Neo2 and erased everything again and reinstalled everything again.......there is still the problem I have been encountering. Ok so now I am completely fed up with my computer, but just to make sure im not overreacting...I did a test....

Fortunately, I have 2 computers that run almost about the same specs

Problem Computer
Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
ASUS p4p800SE
1 GIG Corsair Value Ram DDR3200 Dual Channel
400WAT PSU
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
2x200GB ATA100 HDS
Radeon x700 Pro 256MB AGP 8x
WIN XP Pro w SP2

Secondary Computer
Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
Some ECS cheapo MOBO
2x256 Kingston ValueRam DDR2700
380 Watt PSU
Sound Blaster Live
Radeon x700 Pro 256MB AGP 8x

I wanted to make sure that my video card is not defective, so I swapped the videocards...the problem video card worked fine in the secondary computer. The working videocard in the secondary computer performed like crap.

I thought well since its choppy. maybe this is a memory issue? so I swapped Ram from the 2 systems... I put the 1gig corsair value in the secondary computer and I was able to run CSS @ full settings and LCD resolution at atleast 60FPS constant, no drop in frames when there was action. When I put the 512MB ram in the Primary computer, it surprisingly performed better, but not much better, I was getting 40 or so frames and dropping down to the 20s during action.

Needless to say, It looked like a memory problem....but since then I have upgraded to the Corsair XMS 1 GIG memory and It still hasnt improved anything.

I have tried:
1. updating the BIOS (Both Motherboards)
2. Performing clean installs of XP
3. scanning for adware, viruses etc.
4. closing all open programs like firewall, antivirus etc.
5. Updating my system chips (intel)

I am really at my last end with this machine, my roomate has the same video card and his performs awesome in games...he runs FEAR @ high settings and it runs flawless...I cant even run FEAR without it getting choppy everytime a character enters the picture. I really could use some help and appreciate the responses.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

Maybe your PSU isnt supplying the needed power for the video card to run that high.

Possible. When action occurs cpu + ram use more voltage = less for video card. Hrm...

Try running 3dMark01,03,05,06 (lol pick one) and see if your results match up with those online (in the ORB) with similar system specs. Also, could you tell us what that score is?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your problem more than likely lies with your hard drive(s).

With your new Graphics you are going to be loading larger texture files etc.

Check your file system with Sandra or something.
Make sure you are running UDMA Mode 5
Make sure you are using the proper cables (80 pin ones)

I had probs with my WD drive util I disabled the acoustic management on the drive, I upped my performance by nearly a factor of 2

Don't Give up!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my HDs are in Ultra DMA modes 5 and 6, How do I disable acoustic management? Im using the ribbons that came with my MOBO I would imagine those are 80 pin?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts