Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the difference between the two, but does the glossy really produce a much, noticeably, better picture? I prefer less or no glare, but I don't want to sacrifice too much picture quality. Side by side would the glossy be noticeably better? Im referring to a qnix 1440p.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i always go for glossy now,better color and more vibrant ,compared to other coated washed out ones.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Count me in as a glossy panel user.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Semi-gloss. The best of both worlds. I.e. the type of matte coating that is found on monitors such as the Asus PB278Q and the Dell U2713HM. It is incredibly close to a glossy finish, but doesn't have any of the reflection that a glossy panel is plagued with. And it doesn't wash out colors either.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Semi-gloss. The best of both worlds. I.e. the type of matte coating that is found on monitors such as the Asus PB278Q and the Dell U2713HM. It is incredibly close to a glossy finish, but doesn't have any of the reflection that a glossy panel is plagued with. And it doesn't wash out colors either.
This. Glossy definitely gives you better picture quality but for me, the glare is just not worth it. I love the coating on my Dell.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I haven't found a glossy monitor that I prefer to my matte monitors yet.

And the one monitor that I do use that's glossy, I use because of other considerations (1440p 27").

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd say matte has better picture quality, because I can actually see the picture. With a glossy screen, instead of the picture I see my face, or the lamp, or the window...unless it's the middle of the night and all lights are out. Then maybe a glossy is better.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You may find this article a useful read. It explores the visual differences between the image on a matte and glossy screen and why that's the case. It also goes on to explore so-called 'semi glossy' screens and some funky alternatives that have or are being researched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts