Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up, a big helllooooo to everyone.
Next, have patience while you go through this long post ...
Been researching for the past 2 months or so. Finalized the specs a week ago & ordered the parts last Thursday. Can't wait for them to get here.

Already purchased the 930 CPU(BATCH# 3001A124) from MicroCenter last weekend. Yaayyyy.
Without further ado, lets dive into the specs.

CASE: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - $179.99
Side window panel for the case - $49.99
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D Premium - $309.99
CPU: Core i7 930 - $247.99(after taxes) - Microcenter BATCH# 3001A124
GPU: Sapphire 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB - $164.99
PSU: Corsair 950W Modular - $139.99
RAM: 12GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600- $260.00 LINK
CPU Cooler: ThermalRight Venomous-X - $69.99
CPU Fans: 2x Yate Loons D12SH-12 non-LED High Speed from eBay - #13.87. Not sure if they are genuine. PetraTech has been out of stock forever now and wasn't sure if I could use LED fans on the CPU Cooler
DVD: Lite-On iHAS424-98 24X DVD Burner - $31.99
Thermal: Arctic Silver 5 TIM - $7.99
HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6gbps - $159.98 - LINK
Media Card Reader: LogiSys FP521 All-in-one LINK
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 - $29.99

That's a big leak in the wallet right now.

Components still to be purchased:
1) Cable Sleeving Kit
2) HeatShrink
3) LED fans
4) Cold cathode (either plain ones or sound reactive)

I will be getting the interior powder-coated with satin black. That being said I'm in a fix & still debating within myself what theme color I should go with inside the case. Options:
1) ALL RED: Red LED fans, Red Cathode, Black Sleeving with blue heatshrink
2) ALL BLUE: Blue LED fans, Blue/UV Cathode, Red/Green UV reactive sleeving with Yellow/Orange UV reactive heatshrink
3) ALL GREEN: Green LED fans, Green/UV Cathode, Black Sleeving with Yellow/Orange Heatshrink.

Also having trouble choosing the perfect one for LED fans. Please please help out on this.......

Let the debate begin and the suggestions start pouring in.

Comments on the rig specs are also welcome.

Thanks
Mav

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do you want to Crossfire your cards later on? Even then I think the 950W would be too much. I would suggest buying a 750W PSU (e.g. Corsair HX750) and invest the money in a better GPU if you are into gaming.
Also, I've read somewhere that Actic Cooling MX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5 as it doesn't need any cure in time and is also non-conductive.
And a big thumbs up for the case

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies.
This isn't everything. yet

There will be upgrades coming towards the end of the year. The 5770 is only for temporary need. Will be upgrading to a higher ATI Card in CF or mebbe even Fermi SLI later on. Will also be adding an SSD or two, couple more SATA HDDs, a blu-ray drive etc and hence wanted to be covered on the PSU side. The price difference doesn't seem to be much also. My original choice was the 1000W HX from corsair. But from 950w-1000w, there is a jump of abt 100$. Of couse the 1000HX has dual 12v rails etc but.....

Quote:

for push/pull, scythe gentle typhoons are one of the best 120x25mm fans.

Heard about those as well. But after reading a post where about 4-5 CPU coolers were compared with a combination of different fans, the Yate Loons with Venomous X appeared to provide the best mileage.
Instead of the ones I ordered on eBay which Iam not sure are legit loons, I may just get these instead.

But I wasn't sure if slapping LED fans onto the CPU cooler is a good thing or not, future complications-wise.
If any one has done this before and haven't had any problems, then I might do just that.

Let me know

Thanks
Mav

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nice specs!
PSU IS overkill, but I am NOT one to talk (I bought a 1000watt Corsair PSU
). If you're happy leave it as is, but if you'd like to save a couple bucks you could cut it back a wee bit.

If you want the highest quality sleeving/heatshrink out there, get MurderMod / MDPC-X sleeving. It's what I used in my rig. Amazingly high quality but it is VERY pricey compared to most sleeve.

As for color preferences, they all sound pretty good, however I'm personally not a fan of colored heatshrink. Or if it's going to be colored, have it match the sleeving. But that's just me!

EDIT: You should not run into any problems with having LED fans on your cooler.. Not that I can think of anyways?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and ordered the following fans:
3x Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SH-124UB)
1 Scythe Ultra Kaze 120x38mm

The Scythe above will replace the stock rear exhaust fan which in turn will be used as the exhaust fan for the external duct to suck the heat from the GPU slots.

The 3 Yates will be distributed as follows:
2 of them in push-pull for venomousX
1 either on the bottom of the case or at the HDD bays.

ALSO:
A colleague from work has a spare syringe of Shin-Etsu X23-7783D. I have heard good reviews about it being better than MX-2 and AS5. I will probably use that instead of the AS5 that I ordered. Anyone had experience applying this material? Would be interested to learn from your experience.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking for advice on :

Quote:
ALSO:
A colleague from work has a spare syringe of Shin-Etsu X23-7783D. I have heard good reviews about it being better than MX-2 and AS5. I will probably use that instead of the AS5 that I ordered. Anyone had experience applying this material? Would be interested to learn from your experience.
^Bumppp.. anyone???

·
Registered
295 Posts
the shin etsu is better than the as5 from what i hear mx-2 is on par with the shin etsu. so either mx2 or shin etsu

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First thing is to get the case. The other things to fill inside it will eventually follow. That's how we guys are, aren't we?

Anyway,
Most of the parts are here today. GPU and cooling stuff arriving tomorrow. Sleeving kit arriving from MDPC-X,Germany next week.
I have torn the case apart and dropped it off at the powder-coating place. Will have to pick it up on Friday just in time for the weekend build.
I will get a build log going shortly.

Excited!!! Excited!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.