Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering would something like a 1.53 CPU voltage be ok for a 24 hour 7 days a week use? I am only water cooling my cpu which is a i7 990x with a RX360 rad in push/pull config with a Koolance 370 waterblock. Also what would be safe temps under full load?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm no expert, but that sounds a little high for everyday use. I would probably try and stay under 1.5V. The cpu temps may be fine and it may not degrade the chip that much, but it may take a toll on the mobo VRMs, etc. I've got the RX360 myself, and I'm wary of going over 1.47 for everyday use. For benchmarking however, I would just keep a close watch on my temps and worry a little less about the Voltage. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanage
View Post

From my understanding.. anything over 1.4 runs an exponential high risk of permanent cpu damage.

Yes but what if say you have a cpu voltage of 1.40 and the temps under FULL LOAD are reaching max 63c? isn't that good? I don't see how that can damage the cpu since the load temps pretty good

·
Registered
60 Posts
The thing is that temperature isn't the only thing that can degrade a chip. Too much voltage can have a detrimental effect as well as it forces more current through a chip that just can't handle it. But I don't think that under water you'd see any detrimental effects until at least 1.45V.

Edit: Voltages can be a very touchy subject, so you may want to read the safe voltages section in the Sandy Stable Club page:
Sandy Stable Club

1 - 5 of 5 Posts