Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm very very new to overlocking, got my new setup for christmas...

Athlon 64 3000+
512MB DDR 3200 (kingston valuram)
Geforce FX 5900 (XFX)
Gigabyte K8NS Pro Mobo

I am wanting to overclock my machine, I have followed the guide made by a user on the site, which has helped no end. I have one problem though, on his guide he says to find the chipset's maximum FSB you should lower the cpu multiplier and the memory timing or ratio or something, however on my bios (Award dual bios), in the frequency and voltage settings i have nothing relating to Ram apart from the Ram voltage control of which i can put up by a maximum of 0.2V. I decided to leave this and simply carry on testing how far the board would go and i managed to reach 240 mhz FSB with everything being stable, after that the machine would hang. Now, obviously, i need to see if it is the RAM or the chipset holding me back. I have heard that nforce chipsets are the best for o/c'ing, however. It would be very helpful if anyone could let me know what sort of speeds they could get on an nforce 3 250 or if anyone could help me with my bios ram timing/ratio problem? Thanks
neeyedsm

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
thats a good o/c already it could be the ram holding you back further try going into the bios and loosen the timings a little then give it another go kingston value ram is a good ram but you would do better with ballistix or corsair . i had basiccally the same setup and got it to 263 fsb stable but thats with ballistix ram very good start though

·
Registered
378 Posts
i have the exact same cpu/ mobo you have, and corsair value select memory

i think its the boards fault, as i have to sometimes raise the voltage to 1.7 to even get 2.3 ghz which isnt very good, but it could be my ram too

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Grab a NB1 or NB1C from Newegg. Those Chipset coolers are nice, and not as expensive as the Swiftech or Microcool coolers.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I dont see why you guys are suggesting chipset cooling when he has an A64 setup.

The memory controller isnt part of the chipset anymore, it's on the chip itself so there is no need to up the voltage to the chipset or cool it better when you overclocking your FSB/HTT. Communication between the CPU and memory doesnt touch the chipset anymore, that's why the northbridge was eliminated.

I've had my rig running 280HTT/FSB 1:1 ratio without touching the chipset voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
My RAM limits my overclock to 2.5GHz 250x10 with memory at 1:1...

My CPU is stable upto 300MHz and above... I have only gone as far as 300MHz since with the RAM out of synch my benchmarks were rubbish.

Once I get some decent high quality RAM that can handle really high MHz then I will pump my FSB up.

I think I will settle for 300x8 for 2.4GHz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, thanks, you've all been a great help, another few questions i need answered if anyone can help me? with the BIOS i am using (Award, Dual BIOS), I have no settings which relate to Ram timing or ratio's, I also have noticed that Hypertransport is a factor in overclocking with the 64's? I think the fact that I do not have anything to do with RAM timings could have something to do with Gigabyte providing their users with Easy tune 4, the windows, software-based overclocking utility. On this there are a few more options, such as the option to change the RAM to 'Async/Divider/Linear' settings. Does anyone know if using Easytune is a good idea or is less stable than BIOS etc? Also could someone tell me if overclocking the main BUS of the machine can affect the PCI and more importantly, the AGP BUS....obviously i dont wanna toast my 5900 XT lol. Thanks guy's...i'll keep firing the questions as i learn more bout the whole o/c'ing thing.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
as long as your mobo has a agp/pci bus lock (which i think it does) than your components are safe. the overclocking utility is not the most stable route and i reccomend just using the bios

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
nForce3 chipsets should be good up to about 300FSB, but it may take more than the default voltage to get that high. Just like processors, each individual chip will be different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could anyone tell me what to do with Hypertransport when overclocking...on my BIOS i have no features for Hypertransport other than to up the voltage by a maximum of 0.2V...i.e i have no control over the frequency. This may sound silly but i don't actually know what H.T is...could anyone help by explaining? Thanks alot

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheppell203

Could anyone tell me what to do with Hypertransport when overclocking...on my BIOS i have no features for Hypertransport other than to up the voltage by a maximum of 0.2V...i.e i have no control over the frequency. This may sound silly but i don't actually know what H.T is...could anyone help by explaining? Thanks alot

It should be under HTT You can change its value from 1x - 4x. You multiply that by your rams FSB to get your total FSB.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheppell203

CLICK HERE FOR HYPERTRANSPORT EXPLAINATION

The frequency of your Hypertransport is your FSB/HTT multiplied by the LDT/HTT Ratio.

So if you're running 200mhz HTT/FSB with a LDT/HTT ration of 4X you end up with and actual Hypertransport frequency of 800mhz, 1600mhz effective.

When overclocking since you make your HTT/FSB frequency higher your Hypertransport frequency gets overclocked too. Sometimes it get clocked so far that it will cause stabilty problems without offering any advantage in performance.

It is best to keep it between 600mhz (1200mhz effective) and 900mhz(1800mhz effective) at all times.

So lets say you overclock your HTT/FSB to 250mhz. If you use the default 4x LDT/HTT ratio, then that would net a Hypertransport Freq of 1000mhz (2000mhz effective) which would put you out of the ideal range.

If you drop the HTT/LDT ratio to 3x while keeping the aboved mentioned HTT/FSB of 250mhz, that would net a 750mhz (1500mhz effective)Hypertransport frequency which is within the ideal range for overclocking.

You should have to mess with the Hypertransport voltage too much since you drop the ratio to keep close to stock speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently fired my K8NS pro mobo.
I put ddr 533Mhz into it also with my 754 athon64 2800+.

And i started to overclock.
210, 220, 233, 240Mhz - worked fine.
Then i put 266Mhz and crash!

Processor and memory are OK - checked in other PC.

Now, whatever I do - CMOS clear, battery out, other memory, other power supply...
All i got is 1 beep, keyboard diodes 1 flash, and freeze without anything on my monitor.
tried differend grahfics cards - AGP and PCI. Nothing...

what died there? anyony knows maybe?

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
your mobo, had the same problem, i sware to god dfi with rma's is like getting microsoft to actually give you quality tech support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts