Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, and I was told by a friend who overclocks that the Core 2 Duos are big time overclockers. My question is, with all I got in my rig, on a guess what is the max I should overclock the CPU to?

For some additional info, I have 2 120 mm fans, 1 80 mm fan, and a nonstock heatsink.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You can easily get it up to 3ghz. Just watch your temps and take it as high as you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaziel
You can easily get it up to 3ghz. Just watch your temps and take it as high as you can.
Thats what I've been told, right in the 3.0 GHZ range. According to him he's seen it get up to 3.2 GHZ.

Im thinking with about 2 120 mm fans and all the cooling in there i should atleast be able to hit 2.8 ghz no problem. Luckily the case I have (The RX-9GT) comes with a fan controller so I can turn them up if I really need too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Depends on your chip, but he's right you should easily hit over 3ghz, quite easy for a core2 usually. Only thing is your mobo, it's an nforce chipset known to be mediocre overclockers. But see how high you can take it, I have a feeling though your mobo will top out before your cpu. I think a 6600 would be a better match for that mobo, since you wouldn't need such high fsb to oc pretty high. Whatever you do get it to though, it will be very fast anyway. Even if you only did get it to 3ghz, a core2 at that speed is awesome already, at any speed actually even stock.

My first 6400 had a hard time once over 3.2ghz unless I used alot of volts, more than 1.5. My second 6400 though, can clock to 3.6ghz easily before I start needing some volts. Good luck with your oc, I think you'll get as far as that mobo will let you

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Actually, with nForce-based motherboard, 3 ghz might be a bit out of reach.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well I didn't really add up the numbers, but now I see 3ghz with stock 6400 multi, is about 375fsb. Namrac may be right, and you may not even make the 3ghz. I know they aren't the best oc'ers, but I haven't paid alot of attention to what people get that mobo up to, I just know it's nothing stellar ever. But don't some people get that mobo to at least 375? Or do they always crap out sooner?

·

29,532 Posts
The highest I've EVER seen that chipset hit, is 325 FSB, and I don't know if that even was stable.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX
The highest I've EVER seen that chipset hit, is 325 FSB, and I don't know if that even was stable.

Well I guess that settles that
I thought some people got them higher than that. Well, if you can reach 325fsb then, that would put you at 2.6ghz. Still would be a really good cpu though. But if you wanna take that cpu as far as it will go, you'll need a different mobo I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen-Liquid
no, its not out of reach...
Maybe not with an E6700, that would only need an FSB of 300. The E6400's multi is 8x, making the FSB required to reach 3Ghz drasticly higher, which the nForce chipset simply can't handle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well seeing that mobo supposively cant reach high limits can someone point out a good motherboard for OCing it possibly as higher than the 3.0 GHZ mark?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.JD

ASUS P5W64 WS Professional expensive but great overclocker
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx

Yeah thats the thing. If I had that much money then of course Id go and buy that, but since Im getting this whole rig as a combined B-Day Christmas list (Yes the Core 2 Duo and what not I dont have yet) and I can only spend right around 1000 (Im hitting 1028 with hardware only).

If theres a cheaper mobo thats not SLI but is compatible with everything else and around same price as other I selected I have set for buying then please link me.

EDIT: Just thought of this. My sister is buying me my case, subtracting 129 off my total price of 1029, meaning I only will spend 900 bucks. I can stick an extra 100 dollars towards anything I want, so if anyone can find a decent MoBo for about 200 or so that could get a C2D E6400 to about 3.2 at the least, I will greatly appreciate it.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
If your G.Skill RAM is the one with the black heat-spreaders, then you could buy the GIGABYTE DS3 (Link/Price) and that should easily overclock your CPU to 3.0ghz and beyond.

But IMO, ASUS are better boards so your other option can be the P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi for $230.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul
If your G.Skill RAM is the one with the black heat-spreaders, then you could buy the GIGABYTE DS3 (Link/Price) and that should easily overclock your CPU to 3.0ghz and beyond.

But IMO, ASUS are better boards so your other option can be the P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi for $230.
Ive also heard ASUS makes the best mobo's, so most likely im going to grab that P5B.

If that mobo can atleast get me to around 3.4 Ghz that would be perfect itself. Heck anything over 3.0 Ghz would be nice. Sounds like a plan to me, and it should also easily go that high because Im going to get that nonstock heatsink and have all the fans in there.

On a side note, If I buy the P5B, my total will be 1024, 5 bucks cheaper then original price that helps me alot.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
p5b deluxe is the best overclocker so far...
Yes your right it is but only for the chips with lower FSB's.

For the higher FSB's my favorite so far is the P5W64 Pro but for $340.00 it damn well better be

Currently I own all three high end ASUS boards:
1 - P5B Deluxe: Max OC: 4.5
1 - P5W Deluxe : Max OC: 4.32
1 - P5W64 Pro: Max OC: 4.7 (no superpi chilly problems
are keeping me from stabilizing )

Chips used: ES 6700, x6800, e6600, retail e6700 and e6400

My baddest chip to date is obviously the ES 6700 but the ES chips are hard to come by.

Also note: that the P5W Deluxe has the best Sli score with modded drivers not sure of the reason why yest but im looking into it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, thats what Ill be getting. It is all down to whether I can get about 1024 dollars.. lol

But back to the OCing topic, hopefully I can get this near the 3.4 range with no issues at all, and if Ill have to ill get another fan.

To Sdumper - Your saying you can get a e6400 all the way to the 4.0 Ghz marks with that mobo? Wow..

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by El' Chupacabra
Hey, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, and I was told by a friend who overclocks that the Core 2 Duos are big time overclockers. My question is, with all I got in my rig, on a guess what is the max I should overclock the CPU to?

For some additional info, I have 2 120 mm fans, 1 80 mm fan, and a nonstock heatsink.
3.52 on air (lapped CPU and HSF). This would not be the case during the summer time unless I upgraded to H2O.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
3.52 on air (lapped CPU and HSF). This would not be the case during the summer time unless I upgraded to H2O.
So you think 3.5 is about a good speed for me to stop at or what are you referring to?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts