Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Keep trying, I'm sure you can get much more out of your processor than 3Ghz.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
3Ghz is below stock CPU speed on this processor!
tongue.gif

Edit: Phenom II x4 820, not 840. Never mind.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts
Overclock with the FSB duh! Just like the old Athlon XP days
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
A PII 820 is basically a rebadged Athlon x4 620 (or whatever the stock speed version is since they're the same chip)

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Smif 035;13056580
Ill probably upgrade to 955 because the multiplier is locked on my 820
Are you serious? You can't be so lazy that you can't over-clock by raising clock generator/FSB. It's pretty much a prerequisite nowadays to OC the NB on a Phenom II to at least 2.4GHz to get decent performance out of it when it comes to gaming, too. To do that you need to use the BIOS on a 955 too. Stop being so lazy.

You'll be able to get around 3.8GHz out of it if you keep making adjustments.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1;13056630
A PII 820 is basically a rebadged Athlon x4 620 (or whatever the stock speed version is since they're the same chip)
The Phenom II 820 has 4MB of L3 cache, thats the only difference I see.

I'm sure you can get that Phenom II 820 to atleast 3.5Ghz but I won't recommend it. Even if you get a Phenom II 955 you may damage your boards VRMs, they don't have any cooling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok im sorry but im kindof new to ocn i just wanted to see how far a can get it without raising fsb or core voltage because my fans are horrible (new ones being shipped) and i dont want to damage my board.

Also wouldnt the speed i have be good enough to play halo 1 type games.( cant tell difference between mine and a 955) I have blackops and crap for 360

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
My dual core E6400 @ 3.2 will play halo 1

My old A64 3200+ would play Halo 1

So processor isn't what you need to worry about, that 5450 is not remotely a gaming card

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1;13056630
Wrong. Do some research before you post. The Athlon II X4 620 is a completely different chip from the Phenom II X4 820. The Phenom II X4 820 is based on the Deneb die and has 4MB of cache when locked (6MB when unlocked) and the Athlon II X4 620 is based on the Propus die and has no L3 cache. Apart from that, the IMC in the Phenom is better.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13056899
Wrong. Do some research before you post. The Athlon II X4 620 is a completely different chip from the Phenom II X4 820. The Phenom II X4 820 is based on the Deneb die and has 4MB of cache when locked (6MB when unlocked) and the Athlon II X4 620 is based on the Propus die and has no L3 cache. Apart from that, the IMC in the Phenom is better.
You should do some research before you post... Some people actually unlocked 6Mb of L3 cache on Athlon x4's [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJ0x40q8B8[/ame]

I Unlocked 1 core and L3 cache on my brother's Rena 435

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer;13056940
You should do some research before you post... Some people actually unlocked 6Mb of L3 cache on Athlon x4's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJ0x40q8B8

Propus die =/= Deneb die

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer;13056940
You should do some research before you post... Some people actually unlocked 6Mb of L3 cache on Athlon x4's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJ0x40q8B8

Because those aren't Athlons to begin with. Those were Phenom IIs that had defective cache/cores when the Propus die started to be manufactured and were sold as "Athlons" so that they could 1)meet demand at that price range and 2)not completely lose money by throwing out what would normally classify as a bad chip. That only lasted for less than a month, and ALL Athlon II X4s afterwards were based on the Propus die.

Again, do some research. That's a Phenom II that's being given the Athlon II name. Same thing for this new "Phenom" II X4 840, which in reality is an Athlon II X4.

·
Banned
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer;13056977
You sure?

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L3.html

Even though processors may say they are Propus, Regor, Rena they can be Deneb.
If there's one thing I hate it's ignorant people. Stop saying this crap. No, Deneb is not Propus. Propus is a die based on the K10.5 architecture but has a lot less transistors and a smaller die size than Deneb due to it having NO L3 cache. Any Athlon II that has locked L3 cache is based on the Deneb die, not the Propus die.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13058290
Because those aren't Athlons to begin with. Those were Phenom IIs that had defective cache/cores when the Propus die started to be manufactured and were sold as "Athlons" so that they could 1)meet demand at that price range and 2)not completely lose money by throwing out what would normally classify as a bad chip. That only lasted for less than a month, and ALL Athlon II X4s afterwards were based on the Propus die.

Again, do some research. That's a Phenom II that's being given the Athlon II name. Same thing for this new "Phenom" II X4 840, which in reality is an Athlon II X4.
I did my research... you said Athlon II X4 620 does not have L3 on it at all, I proved you wrong.

It looks like you just read the article I posted earlier... and act like you've known this forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel;13058319
If there's one thing I hate it's ignorant people. Stop saying this crap. No, Deneb is not Propus. Propus is a die based on the K10.5 architecture but has a lot less transistors and a smaller die size than Deneb due to it having NO L3 cache. Any Athlon II that has locked L3 cache is based on the Deneb die, not the Propus die.
How am I acting ignorant? All I said was some code named processors propus/regor may be Deneb. Did you want me to list out all the Athlon names instead?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer
View Post

I did my research... you said Athlon II X4 620 does not have L3 on it at all, I proved you wrong.

It looks like you just read the article I posted earlier... and act like you've known this forever.

How am I acting ignorant? All I said was some code named processors propus/regor may be Deneb. Did you want me to list out all the Athlon names instead?

You're not getting it. If it has the Cache it is a Deneb in disguise. Propus does not have L3 cache. If an Athlon II unlocks the cache it was never a Propus, but a gimped Deneb.

Just because it was sold as an Athlon II and reported by CPUz as a Propus doesn't mean anything.

If the Cahce is unlocked it is no longer an Athlon II by name either, but a Phenom II. Don't think I've seen an Athlon II with L3 cache.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsemama1956
View Post

You're not getting it. If it has the Cache it is a Deneb in disguise. Propus does not have L3 cache. If an Athlon II unlocks the cache it was never a Propus, but a gimped Deneb.

Just because it was sold as an Athlon II and reported by CPUz as a Propus doesn't mean anything.

If the Cahce is unlocked it is no longer an Athlon II by name either, but a Phenom II. Don't think I've seen an Athlon II with L3 cache.

I do get it but people like you keep accusing me of not understanding it... All I'm saying is Some Athlon II processors do have Deneb cores in them. My brothers Athlon II 435 changed to a Phenom II when I unlocked the core and cache. So yes they are Phenoms in disguised.

You may want to check that video up there because it still says Athlon II with 6MB of L3 cache.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts