Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm trying for 2.85 - 2.9 on my Opteron and am curious as to how high I can crank the voltages for a short amount of time. I don't plan on running it 24/7 maxed out, but more for benchies and such. At 1.65 volts my idle temp is 22/25 and the highest it has gone is 38. Also if I do crank it to extreme voltages for a short amount of time how will it effect the life of my CPU? Thanks all

·
Registered
208 Posts
sounds a tad high haha... qhat kinda cooling are you using ? i wouldnt wanna go that high if you dont have anything less than say dry ice cooling. life will be greatly shortened as well.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

Hey all, I'm trying for 2.85 - 2.9 on my Opteron and am curious as to how high I can crank the voltages for a short amount of time. I don't plan on running it 24/7 maxed out, but more for benchies and such. At 1.65 volts my idle temp is 22/25 and the highest it has gone is 38. Also if I do crank it to extreme voltages for a short amount of time how will it effect the life of my CPU? Thanks all

Sure!!! Crank up your vcore to 1.8V. You will most probably be able to go into Windows for a few seconds if that is long enough for you. Anyways, do not go above .3V on the vcore if on air. Even if your temps. are low, to much volts can still cause damage to your chip

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucid

sounds a tad high haha... qhat kinda cooling are you using ? i wouldnt wanna go that high if you dont have anything less than say dry ice cooling. life will be greatly shortened as well.

I have a custom w/c'ing setup, 2 rads/panaflo fans, mc-655 pump, cpu, chipset and 2x gpu blocks and res. All blocks are from Zalman and work great. I also have 2x40 mil fans on my PWMCI area and 2x 40mil fans over my ram. Temps are great all over the place!! I would only be running it for about 20 mins at a time. I can get in to windows and run fine at 2.85, just not prime stable. At 1.8v im sure I could run at 3.0 but is 1.8 to high? Also is it better to have a high cpu vid or a higher special vid?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You want your VID special to be as low a % as possible. I believe this ensures the greatest stability with the voltage setting.
You do have great temps with your water cooling setup, I would probably go 1.7-1.75v. Dual cores dont take as much voltage as single cores I believe. So even those I recommended are high, but doubtful of damaging anything.
The cpu life will be shortened possibly a year or two..so if it lasts 10 years default, you have 8 years left...

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like 2.9ghz might be about the max I can get w/o crazy amounts of voltage. I tried at 3.0 and windows would not load. I was able to run with 1.7v and aquamark ran fine but when I ran 3dmark06 my Smart UPC's alarm went off. I guess my rig pulls more juice then the old thing can put out, lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well, 2.8-2.9 is extremely impressive for a dual core...especially if its 32M or prime stable...
you have my favorite dual core on the market...

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
2.8 - 2.9 is a fine overclock although if you look at what you can achieve with a lower voltate you might wish to run it at 2.7 with that lower voltage 24/7.

I can make 2.8+ at 1.7 but I like 2.7 @ 1.46V for 24/7. For me it's having the best stable and cool overclock I can get.

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts