Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flashed my x800gt to an x850xtpe (thx again STE
) with 8/6 for the pipelines, and 530/545 for the speeds (up form 475/490). At these overclocked speeds, the back of my card gets really hot near where the back of the core is. This card doesn't have a temp sensor, so I'm just wondering how hot is too hot for this card?

Will it affect my card if it gets fairly hot to the touch while gaming? The memory is warm at best, nowhere near as hot as the back of the core.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenicus

I flashed my x800gt to an x850xtpe (thx again STE
) with 8/6 for the pipelines, and 530/545 for the speeds (up form 475/490). At these overclocked speeds, the back of my card gets really hot near where the back of the core is. This card doesn't have a temp sensor, so I'm just wondering how hot is too hot for this card?

Will it affect my card if it gets fairly hot to the touch while gaming? The memory is warm at best, nowhere near as hot as the back of the core.

Well since no one else has commented I'll do my best:

Before i upgraded the cooling for my 9800 Pro the heatsink was hot enough to burn my hand (unbearably hot to touch longer than a few secs). It was around 80°C. Some people say that that's not a critical temp for my card, but I don't know about your card.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/51418/
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=545

You must have used ATI Tool to overclock you card (you should be). You should run "scan for artifacts" for a long while (as long as you feel neccessary) and see what happens. Any artifacts and the card's too hot/too overclocked. In case you didn't know, the furry cube in ATI Tool is supposed fully utilize the vid card's processing power, so it should heat up as much as in a game.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Under "normal gaming use", my X850XT/PE gets up to 75-76C and pretty much stays there, till I'm done gaming. I ran one of the benchmark programs yesterday, and it got up to 87C!! I've contacted VisionTek about it, and they say:
" The necessary stress test has been completed with this card along with the stock heatsink and fan and it should do the job. "
and one of their techs on their forum says that as long as the card doesn't get over 105C (!!!) that it will be fine, and any heat related damage would be covered by the warranty...Sure seems awfully hot to me...
I tried one of the XFX7800Gs cards, and it NEVER got over 55C.
"

·
Registered
227 Posts
So, it's not only me. These X800GT powercolor don't seem to have working LM63 ... even though they actually have one on the board >_>.

Why would the LM63 be locked ? I doesn't make much sense to me ..

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Basically if the card is hot enough to burn your hand the second that you touch it then it is to hot and if not then you should be okay. That is how I have always judged without a temp sensor and so far it has served me well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.