Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to put this in. I was in doubt but felt this was the best match.

Does anyone know what the maximal thickness of the backplate in which the IO shield sits is? I did not find any description of this in the ATX standard, nor did I have any luck searching for it online.
It is regarding a case I am building. I am considering using a 5 mm plate for the backside, but I'm wondering if it might be too thick.

Thanks for any clarification.
- crrd

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
821 Posts
The spec says:
Quote:
Allowable thickness of a chassis back panel that the I/O shield can clip into is in the range 0.037 inches (0.94mm) to 0.052 inches (1.32mm).
But, for a custom build, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha. I searched for your text in the spec. I skipped reading the notes, which I obviously should not have, since it stood right there -.-
Hmm.. I am using a custom case with a 2 mm plate in the back right now, so the spec is not stating the physical limits. It seems artificial.

In the worst case scenario I could just cut off the sides of the IO shield and break out the super glue I guess.

Thanks
- crrd

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
The purpose behind the thickness spec on the back plate is to allow the groove on the perimeter flange on an I/O shield to be able to accommodate the thickness of the back plate. One way to get around that restriction with a thicker back plate would be to chamfer (easier) or rabbit (harder) the edge of the I/O opening to reduce the thickness the I/O shield. A chamfer can be easily made by hand with a file but a rabbit would require power tools, such as Dremel or a router.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crrd View Post

...In the worst case scenario I could just cut off the sides of the IO shield and break out the super glue I guess.

Thanks
- crrd
And it's now time to move this thread into the ghetto rigging thread.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it. I will, however, first see if I can get by with not doing anything to the area surrounding the IO plate. I think it might not matter when it's sandwiched in between the backplate and the motherboard but I'll see when I get that far.

Thanks for the insight.
- crrd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts