Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, doing the last bit of ordering for my water cooling setup, rads. This is for my sig rig. Using EK CPU and GPU blocks. Using at least one 655 pump, might go two in series.

My question, what rads would be best to maximize cooling with relatively low fan speed/noise? Planning to run corsair SP high performance on a fan controller so I have some performance headroom for benching if needed. Not looking for silent, just a low hum in most situations normal situations. Current thought is Alphacool UT60's. A pair of 480's top and bottom and maybe a 240 in the basement as well. Leaving front open to pull in fresh air. Cross flow in the bottom if I do two rads. Exhaust out top and back of case.

Not overly worried about the cost of the rads, but dot want anything outrageously expensive. Don't want monsta rads and prefer push fans only.

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts
push fans only you would be better off with 55mm or less rads and my opinion is 55mm is too thick still.
do you mean a 480 in the top and a 480 front side and a 240 rear side in the basement both pushing into the case so you dont feed all that hot air to your other rads?
and you dont want to exhaust through the top rad. you want to use it for intake so you dont feed it hot air. thats the reason for not having crossflow in the basement of the case.
my opinion for rads : sr-1 or sr-2 or nemesis gtx. just figure out how much money you want to spend. all 3 of those rads are great performers with lower speed fans.

·
Premium Member
6,198 Posts
too thick for 1 fan and yes having to do also with static pressure. at low rpm there just isnt enough airflow to move the hot air fast enough to do the job well. its 90% of the reason they perform so well at high fan rpm.
dont get me wrong about alphacool rads either. i have 2x xt45 rads and i love them. if better rads would have been available at about the same price, i would not have gotten them. i also wouldnt buy or use corsair sp fans though. i am not a 'fan' of those fans. personal opinion only.

as far as air flow in the case, yep just use the rear as exhaust. it doesnt really matter if you have a fan there or not. if you have enough positive pressure the air will get pushed out without a fan and with a fan it will just leave quicker.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of the reason for the SP fans is aesthetics. Most the fans that perform a tad better I don't like the looks of. I have two on my Swiftech H220 rad. Pretty much silent at normal operating levels. But when the spin up they can be loud. But, don't max them out often. And when I do its when doing things where the noise is no big deal. Like benching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts