Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you seen as the peak RAM usage of a running game these days?

4gb/6gb setups are common nowadays. I wonder if that is enough to disable the pagefile without having games get forcibly terminated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was running with 8GB but I barely ever saw it climb over 25%. That said, I recently had a massive system failure. Ended up stripping everything down to try and isolate the dodgy component. Turned out it was two bad RAM modules. They have been RMA'd and I await replacements. Everything has been running so nicely on 4GB that I am seriously considering just selling the new Modules and putting that cash on something else.

• Rep+
Reactions: Menace

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My friend. 4GB is all you need. Unless your running triple channel, then you can get away with 3GB, but 6GB is the sweet spot for that.

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Most games are still 32-bit and thus won't be using more than 2GiB of memory.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Virtually all Windows games are 32-bit applications.

All desktop 32-bit Windows applications should all be optimized to run on 2GB. 2GB is the maximum memory an application can have access to a standard 32-bit Windows OS. The other 2GB is reserved for the kernel. If you enable the /3GB flag, a 32-bit application can use up to 3GB but leaves only 1GB for the kernel. Developers know this so they design their games to run in 2GB.

Basically, do not expect games to use more than 2GB until there are more 64-bit games.

Read: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...1/3092070.aspx

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Virtually all Windows games are 32-bit applications.

All desktop 32-bit Windows applications should all be optimized to run on 2GB. 2GB is the maximum memory an application can have access to a standard 32-bit Windows OS. The other 2GB is reserved for the kernel. If you enable the /3GB flag, a 32-bit application can use up to 3GB but leaves only 1GB for the kernel. Developers know this so they design their games to run in 2GB.

Basically, do not expect games to use more than 2GB until there are more 64-bit games.

Read: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...1/3092070.aspx

This.

But also (and i believe this made sacred 2 more playable o_O?) theres a 4GB Patch that allows x86 exe's to use more than 2gb memory im gonna try it on some games but i kinda think it may not be compatible with a few odd ones

Get it here: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php If you wish

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I haven't seen anything use more than 1.2 gigs on my rig for some reason. Why I can't tell you, task manager shows about a gig and a half available that NOTHING seems to care about.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
never more than 4, and not for awhile, especially while 32-bit OSes are still mainstream

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet. Nice to see games aren't using much more RAM these days. That's less $ to spend on RAM. (though if I had the dough, I'd still get a bunch just for e-peen value)

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
everyone answered your ram question, ill answer the page file. Never turn that off, some games and programs are designed to use it. By disabling it you can cause errors in those programs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts