Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to finally get around to building a media server after a few aborted attempts in the planning stages. I had complicated things with desires to run it as a game-streaming server etc etc in addition to media serving. I've trashed all those plans.

Media and back up thats it.

Needs to run Windows 10 and flexraid and a few windows apps.

I already have purchased a bunch of 3x HDD hotswap caddies with Sata connectors from the previous aborted plans.

WHile before the game streaming limited my research to consumer gaming boards with as much Sata ports as posible, the more limited requirements now I guess opens things up to server mobo's and lesser CPU's

I'd like to maximise the time before I have to start purchasing and messing about with/flashing Sas/Sata add-in cards etc.

I've seen the Asrock Z87 Extreme 11 22 Sata Port consumer board, the 12 sata port Z97 Extreme 9. I could put an i3 in them I guess, but is there anything in the simpler celeron cpu and server mobo line with lots of Sata ports to start me off without breaking the bank on those asrock consumer boards

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Prices of Sas/Sata cards might have dropped since I was last researching.

Came across the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 just now which is a model name I remember. I don't remember Scan.co.uk having them for £90 however
biggrin.gif

I'd be very happy to pick up a 1151 mobo, pop in a Skylake i3 and add in 3 of these cards. Pick up some Sas/Sata cables and couplers

However, I worry I am forgetting something. Did I rule these out in the past for a reason that escapes me at the moment?

I just need to make sure I get a mobo that can do x8,x8,x8 on PCI-e correct?

Can anyone give me a reason not to pick up some Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8's?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Why not get PCIe sata ports? They don't make that? If you need something like 20 ports I don't know of any consumer board that has that many.
See my second post..

Back when I was last researching for my media server, I also planned for it to be a game streaming server. AFAIR, the price difference for an Asrock x99 board (Extreme 11??) with 22 Sata ports wasn't actually much more than a lesser mobo with 3 of the add in pcie-cards but with a 5930K it had enough lanes for all the Sata and a couple of GPU's. I think thats when I ruled out any kind of Sas/Sata add in card.

Game streaming is now off the menu but its been a while since that old research and at the time of my OP I had forgotten the reasons why I had ruled out Sas/Sata cards, I just remembered that I did.

I also think that they are cheaper than I remember. Was never keen on the ebay refurb server cards that required reflashing and all that malarkey. But those unboxed AOC's with warranty and at that price sound great to me now.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,669 Posts
How about PCI sata cards ?
Less expensive than PCIE cards, only disadvantage beeing limited by PCI bus (can be an issue if you want to transfer loads of data in short time).
PCI-X(mostly compatible with standard PCI) SAS cards are also an option as SAS is compatible with Sata. Very often they have as much as 8 SAS ports.Only disadvantage is requirment of SAS cables.

A motherboard with plenty of PCI ports(budget full size ATX motherboards are more likely to have such config,especially older motherboards) + PCI Sata expansion cards.

Older server boards (LGA771) often have PCI-X so in such scenario the transfer limit would be gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts