Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Article:

Quote:

After talking with Intel as well as some back channel contacts we had, we learned that the memory multipliers on production CPUs are unlocked. The reason our CPUs had locked multipliers, we were told by Intel, was because they are engineering sample chips. Engineering sample parts are pre-production CPUs provided to the media, OEMs, motherboard makers and various other hardware vendors to test and bring up components. These CPUs, we were told, are locked.

Huh? To make matters worse, while mucking with our retail Core i7-920, we discovered that our QPI speeds were also unlocked. We could set it to 6.4GT/s all day. Our back channel contact tells us that after some digging, it was discovered that yes, that’s the way it’s supposed to be. QPI is supposed to be 4.8GT/s but you can run at it 6.4GT if you want. Wha, what? But two months ago, Intel insisted that QPI was locked. Now we’re told that QPI is unlocked. Confused? We are.

But why lock them, and only on engineering sample parts? Traditionally, Intel’s engineering parts are unlocked so vendors can perform various tests. This is why engineering sample parts sometimes have higher values: they often have no artificial limiters on them.

Intel’s official reason for the change of heart is: “We made a marketing decision to unlock them for the launched product due to requests from some of our customers.â€

Who are the customers? Intel didn’t name names but our first guess was memory makers. If memory support for DDR3/1600 was only limited to $1,000 CPUs, they wouldn’t sell a lot of high-end memory. Perhaps some OEMs even balked as well at the thought of selling machines with RAM limited to DDR3/1066.

Source

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
I really don't understand

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2
View Post

Don't bother it's Maximum PC.

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post
it seems they are just now realizing that their early core i7 reviews were flawed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post
Quite simple, the whole i7 range has the internal multiplier unlocked (like a unlocked multi on a Core2 Extreme). It also has the QPI (Quick Path Interconnect) unlocked - similar to a FSB if im correct, just with much lower frequencies. Intel now say the eary sales chips where "engineering samples" and now the 920 and 940 are arriving unlocked too. All this really means is they are all essentially the same chip just clocked at different factory settings.
Don't know the news source, would be a bonus to those looking to upgrade if true..

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emitz989
View Post

Quite simple, the whole i7 range has the internal multiplier unlocked (like a unlocked multi on a Core2 Extreme). It also has the QPI (Quick Path Interconnect) unlocked - similar to a FSB if im correct, just with much lower frequencies. Intel now say the eary sales chips where "engineering samples" and now the 920 and 940 are arriving unlocked too. All this really means is they are all essentially the same chip just clocked at different factory settings.
Don't know the news source, would be a bonus to those looking to upgrade if true..

no, they are saying that the engineering samples were locked, but all the retail chips are unlocked, even the early ones.

the CPU multi is still locked on the 920 and 940, but the memory multi, and QPI multi are unlocked.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by {core2duo}werd
View Post

no, they are saying that the engineering samples were locked, but all the retail chips are unlocked, even the early ones.

the CPU multi is still locked on the 920 and 940, but the memory multi, and QPI multi are unlocked.

I seriousely need you to teach me how to overclock this dang X58 stuffs.

Once I get my PSU back of course.. I am too used to my Opty =/

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I was a little surprised when I bought my i7 setup that all I had to do was go into the BIOS and bump the memory multiplier up to 1333 and call it a day. Early reviews let me to believe I was going to have to lower the CPU multi and raise QPI until the memory bus was where I wanted it.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Wow, QPI is unlocked?

So did we already know this, or what? I thought it would be stuck at 4.8 GT/s.

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
I noticed this in the BIOS and guides that I have read, but have left it auto since I didn't know it could be raised safetly. So, I guess the question is, is it safe to do so, and are there actual performance gains to be had?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
All I got from this article was that apparently the retail i7 is much more *insert awesomeness describer here* than we thought. Who cares if they (the article writers) are confused because everybodyelse just got free stuff.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
I was a little surprised when I bought my i7 setup that all I had to do was go into the BIOS and bump the memory multiplier up to 1333 and call it a day. Early reviews let me to believe I was going to have to lower the CPU multi and raise QPI until the memory bus was where I wanted it.
You could bump your memory multiplier high enough to use the 2000MHz RAM that some manufacturers are selling? Nice.

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 45nm View Post
Don't bother it's Maximum PC.
True dat. The thinnest magazine for $10 you can buy.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
MaxPC is pretty horrible at reviews. You guys should look into their cooler reviews, they're good for a few chuckles.
I always find it laughable that they call the Zalman CNPS 9700NT/LED the King of Air Coolers and their standard for reviewing air coolers.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Is there anyone here in the forum who can prove that this is true?

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icekilla View Post
Is there anyone here in the forum who can prove that this is true?
It is selectable in the BIOS, but I have yet to try it.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I thought this was a known fact as was discovered ages ago. Also, this is a repost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts