Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what has caused this? I've never watercooled the board or anything. How worried should I be about this, and is there anything I should do? I honestly don't know how long it's been this way but I noticed it recently when I saw the dust buildup around that area. It seems to be an oily substance on the heatpipe and the components underneath.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Probably the heatpipe is leaking. Usually that happen when some physically damage them

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

Probably the heatpipe is leaking. Usually that happen when some physically damage them
I don't know how I could have physically damaged the board. I've always handled all of my hardware with extreme care, I'm always very careful around it.

If it is the heatpipe leaking, how bad of a situation am I looking at? Seriously worried now.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by im in space View Post

I don't know how I could have physically damaged the board. I've always handled all of my hardware with extreme care, I'm always very careful around it.

If it is the heatpipe leaking, how bad of a situation am I looking at? Seriously worried now.
Check temps of the NB - VRM you notice a abnormal increment ?.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using HWinfo, and I'm not seeing a sensor for the VRM at all. I see other sensors that I'm not sure what they are, maybe it's one of them?

Motherboard 22c
Auxiliary 28C
SYSTIN1 22.5C
SYSTIN2 22.5C
SYSTIN3 22.5C

T0 28C
T1 35C
CPU Socket 30C
T3 23C

I'm not seeing any unusual rising temps on those sensors, but then again those probably aren't the VRM sensors, I'm not sure. I don't know if the MIVE has a VRM sensor.

Edit: I don't see any sensor for NB either.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Usually T0: CPU / T1: Probably chipset / T3: Motherboard temp is everything okey. Personally i will carefully take apart the heatsink of the motherboard, clean the area with isopropyl alcohol and assemble everything again. Be careful with the thermal pads and replace the tim of the PLX

• Rep+
Reactions: im in space

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I downloaded a different program, CPUID HWMonitor, and I now see NB/SB temps but still no VRM temp.

NB temp is at 33c with no fluctuation and SB is at 37c with no fluctuation. I am just idling at desktop though, the PC has been on for about an hour or so, but I've waited about 10 mins monitoring these temps and they still haven't gone up at all.

As far as taking the heatsink apart, I've never done something like that before so I'd be a bit nervous doing it. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing it either. Do you think this is necessary now knowing my NB temp is stable at 33c? Or would you still recommend this?

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:

So I downloaded a different program, CPUID HWMonitor, and I now see NB/SB temps but still no VRM temp.

NB temp is at 33c with no fluctuation and SB is at 37c with no fluctuation. I am just idling at desktop though, the PC has been on for about an hour or so, but I've waited about 10 mins monitoring these temps and they still haven't gone up at all.

As far as taking the heatsink apart, I've never done something like that before so I'd be a bit nervous doing it. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing it either. Do you think this is necessary now knowing my NB temp is stable at 33c? Or would you still recommend this?
If you don't feel confident taking appart the heatsink. Just clean it with cotton buds and isopropyll alcohol. Personally i will not leave that unknow liquid on the VRMs

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The NB temp at stable 33c is a good sign though right? It's unfortunate there's no actual VRM temp sensor for this board.

Could it possibly be the thermal pads underneath creating that oily substance and not a heatpipe leak?

Is removing the heatsink as simple as unscrewing the four screws on each end? Sorry if this is unclear, I mean the ones like in the first picture I posted. There seems to be 4 of them with little springs underneath.

Thank you for all of your help so far. Very much appreciated.

·
Gaming Extraordinaire
851 Posts
Quote:

The NB temp at stable 33c is a good sign though right? It's unfortunate there's no actual VRM temp sensor for this board.

Could it possibly be the thermal pads underneath creating that oily substance and not a heatpipe leak?

Is removing the heatsink as simple as unscrewing the four screws on each end? Sorry if this is unclear, I mean the ones like in the first picture I posted. There seems to be 4 of them with little springs underneath.

Thank you for all of your help so far. Very much appreciated.
Yes, most thermal pads are filled with silicone oil that can sometimes leak, it is harmless and you should only clean it if is bothering you, otherwise all good
thumb.gif

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydude View Post

Yes, most thermal pads are filled with silicone oil that can sometimes leak, it is harmless and you should only clean it if is bothering you, otherwise all good
thumb.gif
He is correct. isn't from the heatpipe i was wrong
redface.gif
, just clean it and forget

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydude View Post

thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

He is correct. isn't from the heatpipe i was wrong
redface.gif
, just clean it and forget
This is such a load off of my mind. Thank you both.

I just have to figure out how to remove the heatsink properly now to clean the area. I've tried looking on google and youtube for someone else removing the heatsink, but I can't seem to find anyone with a guide or steps on how to go about this for my board.

Should I be replacing the thermal pad underneath with a new one now because it leaked oil? Not sure what I should do about this.

·
Watercooled
873 Posts
Quote:

This is such a load off of my mind. Thank you both.

I just have to figure out how to remove the heatsink properly now to clean the area. I've tried looking on google and youtube for someone else removing the heatsink, but I can't seem to find anyone with a guide or steps on how to go about this for my board.

Should I be replacing the thermal pad underneath with a new one now because it leaked oil? Not sure what I should do about this.
Sorry for panic you, asked and opinion to a coworker and he also agree with jaydude and there is not problem of running the board with that "oil". I will not do any damage because is dielectric. Some video cards also have this "problem".
If you want you can take appart the heatsink, it has 6 screw on the backside but again if you don't feel confident, just clean the exterior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts