Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed new i9-10900K processor into new ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX Z490 motherboard and immediately after I finish putting everything together (prior to first attempt to boot) I notice a significant amount of oily staining between the extended VRM heatsinks around the LGA socket... Attempted to clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol the best I could and I succeeded in removing most of it, but I didn't have time to remove the heatsink itself and examine closely yet because I needed to get back to work. As best I could tell from inspecting the front of the board I didn't notice any bulging or leaking capacitors, but I can't be sure with the heatsinks obstructing my view. So far everything is OK and I see nothing obviously wrong Windows 10 installed and PC behaves normally so far. Should I be more or less worried? Any insights into what this is? Electrolyte fluid, oil from a thermal pad, excess flux? Gonna remove the heatsinks when I have time, but wondering if I am putting other components at serious risk... ?

Photos taken after cleaning with 99% iso

https://imgur.com/a/SG0lAF7

·
Rig Advisor
1,939 Posts
My guess would be Thermal pad drainage. Like you said, you won't know until you are able to visualize the area in question.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Is that where the heatpipe is? It could be leftover solder flux.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is that where the heatpipe is? It could be leftover solder flux.

Yes it's the center that is stained and evidently where the gaspipe lies situated between the top & bottom aluminum slabs. The oily residue trails around the connected VRM heatsink visible on both the top and left side surrounding the LGA socket

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,505 Posts
Yes it's the center that is stained and evidently where the gaspipe lies situated between the top & bottom aluminum slabs. The oily residue trails around the connected VRM heatsink visible on both the top and left side surrounding the LGA socket

Had some oily/sticky residue coming off the heatsink/vrm area onto/around the CPU socket, that I bought four months ago;

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Performance-Gaming-ATX-Motherboard-X99_62381398172.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.maylikeexp.6.1bbc6230AqLBtc

Doesn't affect the operation but I do expect it to fail soon, because it's just how it goes with PC Hardware bought on the cheap :thumb: .

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
Hi,
More likely silicone asus uses that to glue the heat pipe inside heat sink and just got a little too much
Found out it's some tough stuff too when I tried to remove the pipe on my x299 vrm so I could still use the aio cover and vrm water block.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the conclusion I arrived at myself after I reluctantly disassembled my rig and examined the board closely from multiple different angles with proper lighting. I can see the substance applied specifically above, below, and behind the VRM gaspipe in between the top & bottom aluminum heatsinks yet I do not detect it elsewhere on the board and it seems to be applied intentionally, which gives me good reason to believe it's just a harmless adhesive applied a bit too liberally during production as you say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
More likely silicone asus uses that to glue the heat pipe inside heat sink and just got a little too much
Found out it's some tough stuff too when I tried to remove the pipe on my x299 vrm so I could still use the aio cover and vrm water block.
This is the conclusion I arrived at myself after I reluctantly disassembled my rig and examined the board closely from multiple different angles with proper lighting. I can see the substance applied specifically above, below, and behind the VRM gaspipe in between the top & bottom aluminum heatsinks yet I do not detect it elsewhere on the board and it seems to be applied intentionally, which gives me good reason to believe it's just a harmless adhesive applied a bit too liberally during production as you say.

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
Hi,
Yep and board was stacked in a way it oozed out
ASUS is so picky about board condition on rma not sure I would keep it :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
Yep and board was stacked in a way it oozed out
ASUS is so picky about board condition on rma not sure I would keep it :/
Seriously? Are you implying it could be denied RMA request for their manufacturing error?

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts
Seriously? Are you implying it could be denied RMA request for their manufacturing error?
Hi,
ASUS likely would blame you somehow
Just a scratch they've been know to reject rma's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts