Overclock.net banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yea see I want the 590 for the pci4. no sense putting old generation hardware when im trying to make it last as long as possible.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yea see I want the 590 for the pci4. no sense putting old generation hardware when im trying to make it last as long as possible.
Z490 Extreme with Rocket Lake gets PCI4 for graphics slot and also PCI4 NVME if you use the provided DIMM2 slot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considering you are upgrading from 2500K, I assume you upgrade the PC once per many years, right? In this case, "future proof" could be very valid, and 11700K looks like the better choice. Extra power consumption / heat is neglible, while new architecture improvements and pcie 4 matters more in the long turn. I would take the 11700K anytime. Do not let some activists to affect your own decision.
My i5-2500K is 10 years old now. I don't plan on upgrading every year or 2 years, but I also don't plan on keeping my next system for that long anymore. I always look at benchmarks from independent reviewers and also from regular users. The fact that I don't like what I'm seeing from the Rocket Lake benchmarks doesn't mean the reviewers or regular users are activists, I have no interest in playing that type of game. The main reason I'm upgrading now is because some of my favourite games run very poorly and it's only because of my CPU (my RTX 2070 is still fine and 12 GB system RAM also isn't the problem). I consider better performance in programs like Handbrake or Photoshop a bonus, not a necessity or reason to upgrade for me.

The extra heat production is not negligible to me. I'm going to be using a Noctua NH-D15S and a Define 7 with focus on noise performance. I never ever want to see the CPU reach 100°C which can be the case with an AVX-512 workload on the i7-11700K apparently. PCI-E 4.0 would be nothing more than a bonus to me and is already dead technology since the final specification for PCI-E 5.0 has out since May 2019 and there's hardly any benefit for PCI-E 4.0 today. Also, I have very different preferences compared to most people. Here are mine in order of importance (from most to least important):
  • Stability / Compatibility
  • Noise performance (the quieter the better, pretty much tied with stability / compatibility in terms of importance)
  • Thermal performance (I don't like hot components, whether that's the CPU, VRM, videocard etc)
  • Raw performance (it just needs to be a big upgrade compared to my current system which will be the case because I'm upgrading from an i5-2500K)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you think Amd 5800x 8 core is better for you? 🤣
I actually had a Ryzen 9 5900X on order for about a month, but I cancelled it just before Christmas. While I was waiting for the 5900X, I kept reading all these horror stories about USB disconnects and stuff which gave me flashbacks to my last AMD CPUs (Athlon64 3000+ and Athlon64 X2 4400+). And with flashbacks I don't mean identical problems, just weird motherboard/BIOS problems in general. Didn't feel like playing Russian roulette again with AMD, so decided to stick with team blue. Oh and I also dislike PGA processors.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm debating between the Apex or Extreme. I have a 11900k on pre-order to pair with one of them. I've the XII Apex and love it so may opt for the XIII Apex.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm debating between the Apex or Extreme. I have a 11900k on pre-order to pair with one of them. I've the XII Apex and love it so may opt for the XIII Apex.
The Extreme is just the Apex on steroids and more expensive of course lol

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
its other way around. apex inherits from extreme. saw this first hand. so quash that notion.. lol @Nizzen
at-least for this current series.
So what you're saying is I should just pony up the extra money and buy the Extreme ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
z590 bioses
Really big thanks again for all the work! My systems improve very much since all the bios updates from you and the ASUS Team. Is there also a changelist compared to the previous version? :)

·
Facepalm
9,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Still trying to figure out why someone else made another thread on this exact same topic when this one exists.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The official site for Maximus XIII Hero has 0704 BIOS, while @shamino1978 posted 0703 BIOS, what's the difference?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone seeing high PCH temp on XIII Hero (74-80C) try disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS, my PCH now 63C...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I also disabled USB Audio and Wifi controller but Thunderbolt seems likely culprit.

• Rep+
Reactions: menko2

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Anyone else here finding POST time to take a lot of time? I think it takes almost 20 seconds before Windows starts loading.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts