Overclock.net banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Anyone else here finding POST time to take a lot of time? I think it takes almost 20 seconds before Windows starts loading.
Mine takes some time as well. Booting windows is longer than my previous z370-e.

And i have a Optane 905p now...

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Mine takes some time as well. Booting windows is longer than my previous z370-e.

And i have a Optane 905p now...
Disabling Thunderbolt Support will clear that up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
With my 1x PCI soundcard plugged into PCIE16_2 my GPU is running at 8x in the PCIE16_1 slot. I'm almost certain the manual doesn't mention PCIE_2 sharing lanes with PCIE_1, at least with a PCI 1x card plugged in. My soundcard cannot go into the mobo 1x slot because my GPU I/O plate won't allow it. If I put the sound card into PCIE_3 it will disable SATA 3-4 and I'm currently using SATA 1-4.

Should the 1x PCI sound card in PCIE_2 be halving the bandwidth of PCIE_1?

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
With my 1x PCI soundcard plugged into PCIE16_2 my GPU is running at 8x in the PCIE16_1 slot. I'm almost certain the manual doesn't mention PCIE_2 sharing lanes with PCIE_1, at least with a PCI 1x card plugged in. My soundcard cannot go into the mobo 1x slot because my GPU I/O plate won't allow it. If I put the sound card into PCIE_3 it will disable SATA 3-4 and I'm currently using SATA 1-4.

PCIE 1 x16 and PCIE2 x16 are ALWAYS shared. They both share lanes coming from the CPU. Any time anything is put in PCIE_2, PCIE_1 will run at x8 speed instead of x16 speed.
This applies to Z590 also. Hopefully Alder Lake will give more leeway into lanes.

You need to use the PCIE x4 slot. That slot comes from the chipset and shares lanes with one of the m.2 slots (which is on the dimm.2 on Maximus Extreme and Apex, I believe). That will not take up valuable lanes from your video card x16 :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
PCIE 1 x16 and PCIE2 x16 are ALWAYS shared. They both share lanes coming from the CPU. Any time anything is put in PCIE_2, PCIE_1 will run at x8 speed instead of x16 speed.
This applies to Z590 also. Hopefully Alder Lake will give more leeway into lanes.

You need to use the PCIE x4 slot. That slot comes from the chipset and shares lanes with one of the m.2 slots (which is on the dimm.2 on Maximus Extreme and Apex, I believe). That will not take up valuable lanes from your video card x16 :)
The PCIE x4 slot is unfortunately obstructed by my GPU with the X13 Hero. Does PCIE_3 affect PCIE_1/2? Worst case with the sound card in PCIE_3 I will lose some SATA?

·
Registered
393 Posts

If you’re running rocket lake 11th gen then it’s pcie 4.0x8 so it’s not really going to affect your gpu at all since it is the same bandwidth as pcie 3.0x16.

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The PCIE x4 slot is unfortunately obstructed by my GPU with the X13 Hero. Does PCIE_3 affect PCIE_1/2? Worst case with the sound card in PCIE_3 I will lose some SATA?
Oh I see the Hero now. Your x4 spacing is different than the one on the Extreme, since there's one more PCIE slot.
Try putting your soundcard in the bottom x16 PCIE_3 slot and see if it takes up lanes from your GPU. I'm not sure how that works.
Did you check the manual?

·
Facepalm
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
If you’re running rocket lake 11th gen then it’s pcie 4.0x8 so it’s not really going to affect your gpu at all since it is the same bandwidth as pcie 3.0x16.
I tested this. PCIE 3.0 x16 is like 300 3dmark points lower than PCIE 4.0 x16. So PCIE 4.0 x8 is a loss of performance. I'm not sure why. @cstkl1 noticed something about this too.
With i9 10900k in a M13 Extreme however, which is 3.0 x16, performance is full speed, actually slightly HIGHER than 11900k + PCIE 4.0 x16.

I still have no idea why.

• Rep+
Reactions: cstkl1

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh I see the Hero now. Your x4 spacing is different than the one on the Extreme, since there's one more PCIE slot.
Try putting your soundcard in the bottom x16 PCIE_3 slot and see if it takes up lanes from your GPU. I'm not sure how that works.
Did you check the manual?
The PCI lane/M.2 slot sharing is the most confusing part of this board/manual, it's quite iffy. I'm fairly certain it says SATA 3-4 will be disabled if PCIE_3 is occupied. I'm currently using SATA 1-4 so that would be a problem. I need to double check.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My GPU appears to be running at full power and clock speed under 8x. Where the performance suffer 8x vs 16x?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I tested this. PCIE 3.0 x16 is like 300 3dmark points lower than PCIE 4.0 x16. So PCIE 4.0 x8 is a loss of performance. I'm not sure why. @cstkl1 noticed something about this too.
With i9 10900k in a M13 Extreme however, which is 3.0 x16, performance is full speed, actually slightly HIGHER than 11900k + PCIE 4.0 x16.

Have you used the 3dmark pcie bandwidth test to compare them? I was just wondering what # you saw if you tested them.

Edit I might have my # mixed up, I will have to look when I am back at that computer. Edit 2 neverminded it was pcie 4.0 x 8 that was the same bandwidth in the test as pcie 3.0 x16. 12.5gb/s vs 25.5 gb/s pcie 4.0 x16

·
Registered
393 Posts

Oh that’s interesting. Yes I did notice a small difference in 3DMark timespy gpu score with a 3070 when I tested a 11700k vs a 10900k, but it was small enough where I didn’t see much of a difference in actual gaming.

·
Registered
820 Posts

Man I had some bench scores before that would be higher with my gpu in my x8 slot than my x16 slot before, maybe cpu vs gpu score but they didn't separate it, that was for sure weird to see lol.

My GPU appears to be running at full power and clock speed under 8x. Where the performance suffer 8x vs 16x?
As to whether 4.0 vs 3.0 or x16 vs x8 it really depends on what you're running, there's no end all be all about it but I would ideally run 4.0 x16 but for a daily driver it won't make a huge impact right now from what I've seen.

·
LN2 user
1,435 Posts
Looking for the solution to the puzzle. This problem is easily the most frustrating thing about this platform.

What is the combination of settings needed so that when I get into windows and open CPUz, it shows 5.5 core, 5.0 NB freq.
I'm getting 800 mhz, 3.7 ect; and am getting extremely frustrated, and wasting LN2...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Z590 Maximus XIII Hero

So I noticed this before on the same motherboard with both an 11700K and a 11900K today.

11700K I installed on launch day and I noticed the wifi would not load occasionally on boot. Or would drop out, typically if I was testing an overclock (voltages, llc, core ratios changes in bios). This happened several times, a reboot typically fixed it along with bios changes to my OC.

11900K I installed today and upon changing some basic OC, voltages, core ratios, llc, I got the same wifi error again and wifi is not available. Rebooting fixed it. This is also on a NEW windows 10 OS install, fresh after the 11700K was removed.

Also to note is I have a 10900K I had installed into this motherboard for the past 3 days after removing the 11700K and I did not have any wifi issues on it even with overclock testing - it is only related to rocket lake CPUs.

Here's what the system errors show:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Dont disable speedstep
I'm about to change the 10900k for the 11900k in this motherboard.

It's the latest beta bios in Asus Website 0704 the better to use for 11900k or do you recommend another one?

• Rep+
Reactions: i9forever
81 - 100 of 120 Posts