Overclock.net banner

[MaxPC] Firefox 5: What we Know so Far

2630 Views 33 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  0xygen
Quote:

Firefox 4 may be only a few weeks old, but Mozilla’s adoption of a Chrome style rapid release schedule has led to several leaks about upcoming Firefox 5 features, which believe it or not, should be released by the end of June. Users who want to gain access to the latest preview build can download a copy directly from Mozilla, or just scroll on down for a quick overview of what you can expect to see down the road.

1.) Multi Tab Select. This will allow you to close a small group of tabs, or move a select few off the tab bar to create a new window.

2.) A Brand New Tab Page Layout.

3.) Add-ons will get standardized toolbar support.

4.) File Upload Indicator.

5.) The removal of a home button, in favor of a home tab.

6.) Built in PDF Viewer / MP3 Playback decoder.

7.) Taskbar Web apps. This will allow developers to include a drop down menu from the browser tab to allow for easier site navigation.

8.) Integrated Identity Management for easy website sign in.

9.) Social Sharing from the URL bar to Facebook, Twitter, and possibly others such as Reddit, and Digg.

Some of these features might be amended or removed as the weeks move on, but given how soon they are expected to push out a final release, it’s very likely we are looking at a fairly complete list.

(Image Credit: conceivablytech.com)

Source
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Apart from the built in PDF viewer (at long last!) the other features don't interest me in the slightest.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica
View Post

Apart from the built in PDF viewer (at long last!) the other features don't interest me in the slightest.

+1

Don't want useless toolbars
I like my home buttom

/grumpyoldman
See less See more
So how come they cant make java script run more efficient?
Is the Engine they are using at its limits?
I know that java isnt what most browsing is about but im still waiting to see when they will at least "close the gap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;12992254
+1

Don't want useless toolbars
I like my home buttom

/grumpyoldman
So then cutomize it so it has a home button.
You know, what Firefox is known for.
wink.gif
See less See more
By the end of THIS June?
eek.gif

Wow. Mozilla stepping it up. I approve.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunapiano;12991742
1.) Multi Tab Select. This will allow you to close a small group of tabs, or move a select few off the tab bar to create a new window. - how?

2.) A Brand New Tab Page Layout. - still looks the same on osx

3.) Add-ons will get standardized toolbar support. - um ok

4.) File Upload Indicator. - cool

5.) The removal of a home button, in favor of a home tab. - still have a home button, what is a home tab?

6.) Built in PDF Viewer / MP3 Playback decoder. - about time

7.) Taskbar Web apps. This will allow developers to include a drop down menu from the browser tab to allow for easier site navigation. - not on osx. Is this added by some javascript on the page?

8.) Integrated Identity Management for easy website sign in. - um, doesn't it already have this?

9.) Social Sharing from the URL bar to Facebook, Twitter, and possibly others such as Reddit, and Digg. - how?
Don't really notice any difference yet.
I see in the future, Mozilla having a huge bundle of different releases listed on their site, that all do the same thing, with barely any extra features, being released every other month.

I don't really like this, why couldn't they try to implement some of these features in 4 at a later time?
I know this.

It's a browser.

It will surf the internet.

You can't do much to a web browser as good as firefox.
You could make it all slow and call it Internet Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles;13028004
You could make it all slow and call it Internet Explorer.
Except IE is no longer slow.
Quote:
9.) Social Sharing from the URL bar to Facebook, Twitter, and possibly others such as Reddit, and Digg
If I can't turn this off or preferably delete it altogether then I will not be using Firefox much longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekgun;13028096

If I can't turn this off or preferably delete it altogether then I will not be using Firefox much longer.
Why?

From what I understand it will only come up when you go on that website, and only if your tab is on that website.

I like their design. I think it's a great step forward for browsers and it's a good design to boot. More and more computing is going to be done through the web. There's really no contesting that. This is a nice, clean and logical UI design for the user.

EDIT: Also as somewhat of a side note, this ties in perfectly to what I've talked about previously with regards to cloud computing and application convergence. You've probably all noticed that browsers UI designs are becoming very minimal and some say they're "copying" Google Chrome in terms of its interface.

Irregardless of copying claims, features like this are going to set Firefox apart from the crowd, which is what will be needed now in a rich web and will help Firefox gain precious market share.

In the future you will be accessing your computing power through the web, so instead of the question being "How?" (i.e. a web browser), it becomes a question of "Which and why?" with regards to the service provided by a web browser. The better the service, the more it's giving the consumer, the better it does (generally).

Of course, there is an argument that services will eventually get to a point where they are nearly identical in features and then it becomes a question of "What?" as in "What do I get out of this service?". At which point, the web browser may start data mining the user and then changing the web browser based on how they use it. For example... If the user is zooming in a lot by using ctrl + scroll because they're visually impaired, maybe the web browser could start do it automatically for them what ever page they're on.
See less See more
Quote:

Right, but historically it's been garbage. Was making a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica;12992071
this
firefox5.jpg
I see more crap in this image than it is Firefox related.
See less See more
Quote:

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfc;13018869
my home button.... they move it... a lot

milton1.jpg
Lol nice one. Yeah I'm not so sure bout these updates - guess we'll have to wait and see.
give it another year and a half or so until Firefox 5 actually comes out. beta builds will probably come out by the end of this year.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.