Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I installed the stock cooler today, I was getting ready to sell my gtx 285. long story short I put the stock cooling on plugged into my pc heard a weird noise, saw a flash, and smelt smoke. I turned the system off immediately, and opened it up. I see no fire damage on any componets or any physical damage anywhere. I am currently afraid to try the video card out. I dont mind if its dead but what are the odds of it taking my pc out with it. If I put it back in my system will it do the same thing? please help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Something probaly shorted out. Happen to me, it was a wire for a fire that hit my cpu fan. Everything still runs well. Check if anything melted(wires). Your best bet would be to try again after looking at everything for a good hour or 30 mins.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleguy View Post
u must misaligned the inline memory interrupters when u removed the cooler. RMA time.
Couldn't have sounded more like someone from CompUSA... That sounds like complete BS to me.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

u must misaligned the inline memory interrupters when u removed the cooler. RMA time.
Ummm, how did you manage to diagnose that? OP gave a pretty mild description of his problems an you managed to interpret BS from it. You sir, have cheated those 10reps you have by probably giving out BS answers.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jetplane48 View Post
Ummm, how did you manage to diagnose that? OP gave a pretty mild description of his problems an you managed to interpret BS from it. You sir, have cheated those 10reps you have by probably giving out BS answers.
Dont be an ass.

Try it out again, only way to be sure.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
Dont be an ass.

Try it out again, only way to be sure.
I am waiting to try it again. What if I turn it back on and it does the same thing? I am thinking maybe some of the rubbing alcohol wasnt dried off all the way. would that cause a fire and what smelt like electrical smoke?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bulmung View Post
I am waiting to try it again. What if I turn it back on and it does the same thing? I am thinking maybe some of the rubbing alcohol wasnt dried off all the way. would that cause a fire and what smelt like electrical smoke?
If it does the same thing, then its time to take things out one by one and see whats the matter.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

LMAO. Your getting sigged, buddy.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
If it does the same thing, then its time to take things out one by one and see whats the matter.
k thanks, it has almost been an hour just a few more minutes then I will put it back in.

Update... I turned it on with the card inside and more smoke at the front end of my graphics card. I can now see some sort of burn marks inside the cooler right by the 6 pin power connectors that is also where the smoke comes from. I dont have an extra gpu around to test one out. I will try an rma but doubt that will work.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bulmung
View Post

k thanks, it has almost been an hour just a few more minutes then I will put it back in.

Update... I turned it on with the card inside and more smoke at the front end of my graphics card. I can now see some sort of burn marks inside the cooler right by the 6 pin power connectors that is also where the smoke comes from. I dont have an extra gpu around to test one out. I will try an rma but doubt that will work.

Hmm interesting.

RMA time, maybe the psu did it? (doubt it) Just RMA.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

Hmm interesting.

RMA time, maybe the psu did it? (doubt it) Just RMA.

Got an RMA number but no shipping information yet, hope this works. If they replace my gpu I am buying a evga gtx 480 instead of a 5870 lol.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko42004200
View Post

i think your flux-capasitor leaked pluetonium onto the fan power conector
:>

u wanna bet ur 8800 GTX on it?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko42004200
View Post

i think your flux-capasitor leaked pluetonium onto the fan power conector
:>

Wow funny someone should say this, im actually watching back to the future waiting on my friend to bring me his extra gpu lol.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Lol, your heatsink tensioner could have sprung on your fan wire detangler.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
...Im not getting the card am I?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts