Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OCZ Vertex II 120Gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227551
seems like the top of the line model, but wondering if there were any firmware/hardware bugs, cuz only 3 people bought on newegg and 2 had low benches in reviews
sig rig- using for OS, and all programs, games, etc. lot of crysis, so big textures need bandwidth, etc. sick of lag after install lots of games, and never uninstalling any because of fragmentation. it gets to all disks.. even Vraptors

quick opinions/knowledge very much appreciated

·
Registered
651 Posts
It has more bad reviews than it has good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuehlman View Post
It has more bad reviews than it has good.
but only 3 in total. I hear it's great but it makes me wonder..
xactly

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by defoLinY
View Post

Two of these in Raid will beat any of the previous in terms of price and speed

hmmmm..... nice.. do they have trim support? and not to flashy bout the 70mb/s sustained write, but also idk how set up raid 0 on ICH10R.

help me out with this, runnin out of time for quick buy lol. leanin towards the 96gb for just having one quick easy drive. better write speed too (vs one)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well not in a big rush tonight. dad want's to talk to his friend(my friend too) and see what he has to say. thing is the guy has been working with hardware/software for a lifetime now, but doesn't know much about SSD's. starting to catch on but i gotta talk to him bout it. but tomorrow most likely going with the OCZ 96Gb.

Could anyone try and link me some benches/reviews of it?? other than retailer pages it's virtually a ghost which makes me wonder.+reps for it,
and to the idea of raid(completely went past me)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
At the $200 price range, the Intel 80GB X-25m is your best bet. I learned a long time ago not to listen to anything described in Newegg reviews.

www.anandtech.com is a good site for anything SSD. You'll learn alot about ssd technology and what really matters.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
yeah just get the Intel 80GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167023

$215 at the moment

If you like go with the Vertex 2 (Sandforce controller) range, but you won't get as good benchmark numbers, however it will possibly be faster in actual use...

The Sandforce controller compresses the data, so there is not as much to write, so the writes are faster, if you use like Crystal Disk Mark, or AS SSD Benchmark, they use random non-compressible data, so you don't get as good benchmark numbers..

Also, IMHO the Sandforce write latency is higher then Intel...

here is a review of Sandforce-based Vertex 2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3681/o...f1200-reviewed

·
Registered
629 Posts
The ones with a Sandforce controller are the new stuff. They should give you much better sustained write speeds. Also, trim is a given with any of the newer stuff. Here's a few reviews:

OCZ Vertex 2
G. Skill Phoenix
Corsair Force F100

I own an original Vertex and it performed great for a year. Last week though, it stopped working on me and I just sent it for RMA. It's still new technology, so we're basically all beta testers, keep that in mind.
OCZ's customer service is great and so is there online community.

All the new Sandforce drives do perform about the same, so just go with a company you trust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts