Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Microsoft has decided to kill off the Kin, two Microsoft-branded phones targeted at teenager users, we have confirmed.

The Kin, formerly known as “Project Pink,†was revealed in April and lauched on the Verizon network in May. However, ominous signs emerged for the phone’s demise after Microsoft cut the price of the Kin in half.
Read

You don't have to be genius, to understand that this device was doomed from the start.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
Read

You don't have to be genius, to understand that this device was doomed from the start.
Yeah, no kidding. Who would pay $30/month for the data plan when you could get a Droid for the same price monthly...

I've read rumors that they've only sold a few hundred of these phones...

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
I see commercials for it all the time. Who would buy a phone made just to take pictures and upload them to the web, when any phone on the market can do that, and have a boatload of other features.

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cl04k3d View Post
I see commercials for it all the time. Who would buy a phone made just to take pictures and upload them to the web, when any phone on the market can do that, and have a boatload of other features.
I still think that it would break all sales record, if it had Apple logo on it

·
Registered
807 Posts
Title is kinda misleading...

Quote:
We will continue to work with Verizon in the U.S. to sell current KIN phones.
The phone will still be available, just no new additions.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LudaMan View Post
Title is kinda misleading...

The phone will still be available, just no new additions.
They're not going to just chuck them away are they..?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

MSFT was on drugs when they released this ugly POS with its proprietary software.

They need to just keep their 'new ideas' to themselves
and release Windows Mobile 7 on time.

frankly i feel that way about WP7.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haha, It was just a matter of time. Every time I saw a kin commercial i just had to think to myself who int he world would buy that phone. When there are 100s of better phones out there.

Also Microsoft obviously doesn't know what teenagers want, as if having twitter photos or whatever BS they had on it would make anyone want to be caught dead with that ugly thing.

I'll stick to my Droid tyvm.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

What the heck is a MS Kin?

Not an Apple. So it was pretty obvious it was doomed from the start...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

What the heck is a MS Kin?

It's a pseudo smartphone from Microsoft/Sharp, that uses some weird stepchild of Windows Mobile.

From what I gather everything you do on the phone gets uploaded to a cloud service called Kin Studio. So pictures video and twitter/facebook activity all move to and from the device and the 'cloud'.

The problem is it's on Verizon, and it counts as a smartphone because it uses data/internet to send stuff back and forth. But it's like, half of a smartphone. It doesn't have the capability of a Blackberry, a WM6.5 device, or an iphone or Android device, but it does just a tad more than a typical flip phone.

So thus it has no place in the market, it's an inbetween device that can't fit in anywhere because it's counted as something it's not.

EDIT: Basically a Verizon data plan is ~$30/month. The lowest tier of service for a phone is ~$69.99/month. So you have to pay as much monthly as you would for a Droid, Droid Incredible, or an iPhone to have a device that does maybe 25% of the function of any of those devices.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I never understood the commercials: "Josh went on a trip around the country to meet up with his social network. The Kin is useful for taking pictures of your ex-girlfriend. Or not. Then, you can use The Nook (or some other dumb software name) to see all your Social Networks on one screen. Cool right?" WRONG!

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
It's too bad... I actually would have bought the larger Kin model. But yeah, data plan for that kind of phone is a bit rough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts