Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a new case tomorrow-the silverstone TJ-07, and I've been thinking of possible orientations for the pumps, and I was wondering if the 350 and 355 will operate well either on their side, or upside down, in the top of the case. I've got XSPC tops on both, if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would say you shouldn't put them upside down or on the side. Those pump tops are good for feeding coolant into the pump so aeration problems will be minimal. Putting it upside down is more the less going to trap that coolant in there, and never really circulate it as well.

Edit:

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about the res/pump top. I still would not mount it upside down though, seeing as how the inlet is on the top, it would make it very hard for the pump to have to suck the coolant up into it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen-Q
View Post

I would say you shouldn't put them upside down or on the side. Those pump tops are good for feeding coolant into the pump so aeration problems will be minimal. Putting it upside down is more the less going to trap that coolant in there, and never really circulate it as well.

Edit:

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about the res/pump top. I still would not mount it upside down though, seeing as how the inlet is on the top, it would make it very hard for the pump to have to suck the coolant up into it.

Yes, what he said. You NEVER want to mount a pump with the inlet facing down. On it's side should be okay though as long as the reservoir is mounted higher.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As long as the inlet isn't pointing towards the downward position, you're in pretty good shape. I've side mounted DDC's and D-5 for years, but I always make sure the res feed is level with or above the pump to insure good gravity feed.

As long as you follow those guide lines and never let the pumps run dry when filling or running, you won't have a problem.

andyc

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
dont do it. honestly man that case is huge to where you can just put the pump the right way. nice case BTW!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of this makes sense, and it sees like common sense...I guess I lost mine
Good thing there's guys like you here

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
if it was me, i would mount that pump any way you want. i built a setup with a 355 mounted on the back with the in pointing sidways. if the system is sealed it shouldnt matter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@carlitos714: dude, your OC is sick...is that with HT on? I can't get mine to do 4.0 with any less than 1.3 vcore

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa
View Post

if it was me, i would mount that pump any way you want. i built a setup with a 355 mounted on the back with the in pointing sidways. if the system is sealed it shouldnt matter.

I gotta agree really. Actually, I think this particular pump would be less prone to failure if you were to mount it upside down (the pumps pcb would be above the water instead of below it).

But considering that it's magnetic & no moving parts or anything, it really shouldn't matter. I would still keep the res./t above the pump though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The instructions say that they should't be used upside down or with the intake facing down, but there are ways to break the rules.

If your reservoir makes enough pressure at the output to feed water into the upside down pump, it's fine. There will be no issues when the loop is bled and pressurized.

I ran two 355s w/tops sideways, one intake facing up and one down, and it was perfectly fine. Just make sure there is enough pressure to force the water all the way through the pump. If it comes out on the other side, it's golden.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm just amazed at some of the suggestions given here and the reasoning behind them sometimes. Just boggles the mind, really does

There's absolutely no reason you should have to mount a pump with the inlet pointing down, so why go against the manufacturers recommendations and do it.

andyc

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good deal. I just wanted to make sure there would be flow...and now it seems it shouldn't be too hard to get that going. I'm excited to get all this mounted in my case!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts