Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker of this forum, big fan of the skill people display here in their cases. This is my second case I've built, but first I made a log of.

A little about me, I live in a town just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm 16, and still in high school.

Anyway, onto the case build. I didn't want to spend money on a mATX case for my media center so I just decided to build one of my own. I was really inspired by Oldnewby's first case, so I took the idea of the bevel on top and built around it. Got the case down to a 11" x 11" foot print, and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Here are the specs on the build:
Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-CM
CPU: Intel E3200 @ 2400MHz
GPU: Zotac 9400GT
RAM: 2GB and 1GB DDR2 Patriot Value RAM
OS: Currently running Win7 64-Bit but it will be running XBMC when I get my i7 build.

Quick renders of the case.

I grabbed a scrap piece of 1/2" MDF from the Lowe's around the corner, had the perfect amount of room to cram all the pieces on it!

Before I measure and drill the wholes for the standoffs, does anyone know how to get an accurate measurement? I don't have an old mATX board to use, and the formfactors.org PDF won't print in perfect scale for me. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I set it to 100% it comes out about 1/3rd the normal size. I calculated the percent difference (~316%) and printed it at that size a second time, but it was still off by about a half an inch. I have an HP 7400 if that helps any.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
set the print scaling to 100% and any formfactors pdf should print you a template correctly (print page setup)
You can do it with a ruler if you're careful. But double check everything otherwise you'll end up putting your motherboard in the wrong place. Just like mr. smartypants over here...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the double post, but I went to Harbor-Freight this afternoon and picked up this little guy:

Should definitely come in handy for measuring up those mounting holes. Best $25 investment ever, haha.

e:
I fired up an old copy of Illustrator and got it to print at perfect scale. If anyone wants the PDF that will print correctly, I can put a link up. (Just mATX, but I can do ATX if anyone needs it. Also, I have two versions. One with the measurements and one that is just the template. Accurate to within ~0.005")

I'll start priming some of the pieces today, hopefully. Still need to cut the I/O, GPU, Fans and PSU ports though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been busy with exams the past couple days so not a big update.
In my free time I did, however, build a lightbox for $0! Took a couple photos of some decorative brass corners for the case mod, and a few random shots of a caliper and hard drives. Enjoy!

Lightbox (there's a second, more powerful light on the other side. 35W and 60W iirc):

Harddrive:

Caliper (Best $10 I ever spent! Thanks Harbor-Freight):

Brass Corners:

I should be starting the sanding, priming and painting process either today or tomorrow. Legitimate update will definitely be coming soon!

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
Nice light box
Can i suggest you get some 5200K bulbs? They give a 'whiter' white which makes it look even better! A couple of 100W 5200K would be good for you

Nice MDF cuts too, i can't wait for more!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman
View Post

Looking forward to seeing some more updates soon!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasparx
View Post

EH ALTER DU WEISST DAS DAS'N DING VIER ECKIG IST NE?

Looking forward to see more updates man, good luck!

Ja, Ich weiss! Aber, das richtige Wort für "square" ist Quadratisch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins
View Post

So that's how everyone gets such good pictures!

Got a new project

It is a very fun project! Especially if you can do it without having to buy anything!

Here's the guide I used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92
View Post

Nice light box
Can i suggest you get some 5200K bulbs? They give a 'whiter' white which makes it look even better! A couple of 100W 5200K would be good for you

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely look into purchasing some lights! Any idea how much that would cost? At the moment I'm just using the Tungsten filter on my Rebel XS to make the photos more white.

Do you know what I could set the WB to, so I can make the photos more white? Tungsten sets it at 3200K, not sure if it can get better then that. (Only asking, because I don't know when I will be getting the new bulbs.)

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92
View Post

Nice light box

Sorry for the OT in advance but, what about 6500k bulbs? I have a lot of CFL's left over from my grow room and I need to do something with them. I used at the 2700k's in my house and I don't like white light for house lighting. You think the 6500k's would work good with a box?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasparx
View Post

och, ein bizzl recht haste ja.

Ja, haha? I've exhausted my limited Deutsch II skills. Curse being in America where they start foreign languages really late!

On a related note: I got a package in the mail from PerformancePC's! My 80mm Grill and Power-button Plunger arrived!

Here's the 80mm Fan Grill and Plunger:

This is just other junk I also picked up! A countersink bit and 4 rubber feet!

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,544 Posts
nicht schlecht fuer eine mdf konstruktion, nette idee

not bad for a mdf construction... good idea

Quadratisch, Praktisch, Gut!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasparx View Post
Ohh, well native german speaker here.

But the power plug is nice, how big is it exactly?
Nice! I find German to be a very fun language to learn, and speak.

It's about 3/4" in diameter, and it's plunger style, so no wiring. (The button is attached to a rod which pushes a separate button that is connected to the motherboard.) I'll take a picture of it in a bit to clarify.

Danke! Ich glaube das mdf ist sehr preiswert, deshalb Ich kaufe viele! Auch, mdf ist sehr kräftig und einfach arbeitet mit!
(I don't think that last sentence was grammatically correct, but you get the idea, haha.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts