Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if you bother to monitor your liquid temps anywhere in your setup, whether that be in-out from your radiator, in/out from your waterblock, etc., you will find one thing out very quick: The Delta T is very small! Why?!?

We have to attribute this to water's very high specific heat: The amount of energy required to be put in to "heat" the water.

Here is a bit of concept; I do not expect most people to understand this, but for those that do, this will make sense.
Water has a very high specific heat, to be specific, 4.1813 Joules/Gram * Degree Celcius. Don't bother trying to understand that equation, what you need to know is that it is the highest of almost all liquids at room temperature.

What does this all mean? Basically, a lot of energy in the form of Joules must be added to the water in order to raise it one degree celcius. Precisely why we do not see a big change in water temperature, because a lot of energy must be added to the water in order for the temperature to increase. What we don't see is the fact that a lot of energy is being added to the water, but because so much needs to be pumped in to get the temperature to increase, we don't see a big increase in temperature.

I thought this would be a good idea to help everyone understand why we don't see a big increase in water temperature, but in fact heat is being transferred, we just do not see it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Put it simply its like the sea, takes ages to cool down and heat up(over summer/winter)

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
That's why 100% Distilled water cools the best, but we have to add anti-corrosives, pump lubes and such anyway to care for all the other variables....Good read Burn....

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
what is your delta T? also do you have a way to tell how long the water is in the res? I've been thinking of putting together some calculations but I haven't had any data to work with

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229

what is your delta T? also do you have a way to tell how long the water is in the res? I've been thinking of putting together some calculations but I haven't had any data to work with

Unregistered is WAY ahead of you.
http://swiftnets.com/Technical/Asses...erformance.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts