Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a mech keyboard but I love the media keys on my current standard keyboard(volume and play\pause\next )...any recommendation?

Took a look into google and found out several keyboards have that option within F keys, but I'd rather have a direct access opposed to using the fn key.
-I've seen that the Corsair K60 has those and can be had for like 70$ but some complains that the F keys aren't mechanical.
-The Logitech G710 seems to have those but is 150$
-Gigabyte Aivia has a volume wheel

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,072 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavman View Post

If you have enough desk space and don't mind a numpad I'd suggest something cheap like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ADESSO-AKP-220B-Adesso-Mechanical-Numeric/dp/B0038KN3YY

You can use either of the 2 pieces of software twocables recommended to completely remap the keys to whatever you'd like. It also comes it handy if you play MMO type games
I don't play MMO games
tongue.gif
but It would feel kinda too big for nothing...why is it so complicated!
doh.gif

But I wouldn't mind something like that and go for a "regular" keyboard.
I'd love something like this

·
Registered
369 Posts
The blackwidow has 5 macro keys I believe that you can map to do anything (make sure you don't install razer's software though.
The majority of fullsized ducky keyboards also have 4 keys that you can program for that purpose such as this, and come in practically all flavors:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=50

Were you looking for fullsize or tenkeyless?

If you have a smartphone that stays around your desk when your home too, you could also get a media remote app for it. There are plenty (some free, some paid). I use unified remote because it has generic media keys as well as program specific remotes like an itunes remote.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,072 Posts
CommanderKeen: what do you think of my suggestion?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

CommanderKeen: what do you think of my suggestion?
I wouldn't mind going that way but I think I'd rather use that with a keyboard that has macro keys so I don't loose any other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe221 View Post

What about the Logi G710+? The media keys are dome but has a volume wheel and all the rest of the keys are MX brown and O-Ringed.
Amazon is still back ordering at $100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C98NPY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Looked into it,but unfortunately,I'm in Canada and it won't ship here. Lowest price I can find is 130$,so it comes to 150$ with s/h and taxes. I guess I'll wait few weeks for tax return and grab that one
biggrin.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderKeen View Post

I wouldn't mind going that way but I think I'd rather use that with a keyboard that has macro keys so I don't loose any other.
Looked into it,but unfortunately,I'm in Canada and it won't ship here. Lowest price I can find is 130$,so it comes to 150$ with s/h and taxes. I guess I'll wait few weeks for tax return and grab that one
biggrin.gif
Oh, so you use all 104 keys? I mean, I don't use the keypad so that gives me a total of 17 keys to use as media keys and macros. :)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Here's the OCN edition of the keyboard (which is actually cheaper in some cases, $90), but with the Fn key it has media functions as well has hotkeys for other stuffs.

http://www.tankguys.com/ducky-keyboard-mx-overclock-net-edition-blue-abs-2.html

That's MX Blue; it's also available in Red, Black, and Brown. Not sure if they're in stock though.

I can't really find one that has stand-alone media function keys.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,072 Posts
Quote:

Yup,need the full keyboard
Whoa. Well then. lol :)

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
The K60 rocks and it has a great volume knob. Do not sweat the function keys not being mechanical. They are less used than the rest of the keyboard and so do not suffer the wear level that mechanical is there to counter. If you want other options, the Meka G1 from Tt eSports has media key function as well and is 100% mechanical.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:

Finaly got a G710+ for 122$
smile.gif
That's a great price in Canada. Where did you get it from if I may ask? Mine was CA$125 at the time, after price matching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuroM View Post

That's a great price in Canada. Where did you get it from if I may ask? Mine was CA$125 at the time, after price matching.
Price matched at NCIX from Hookbag.Surprised me they accepted since it's "Sold by Hookbag US"
NCIX offered free shipping as well last week on the keyboard
smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts