Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just ordered a whole bunch of parts to get my second rig going, I plan for it to live in the lounge connected to the TV.

Will be using it as a Blu-ray player, internet streaming etc etc, got wireless MnK as well as some wireless gamepads etc.

So just wondering what light casual "consoley" like PC games should I get for it?

At the moment I can only see myself playing NBA on it as its the only game I play that I like using a controller for.

Also some games that my wife n daughter might like?

How hard is it to emulate playstation and the like?

Cheers

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
emulations require very fast CPU, preferably sandy bridge

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bail on emulations then lol. As it will be the specs in my sig (In progress Lan rig).

So what casual games for controllers would you recommend for PC?

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Darksiders is a fun console type game, god of war-like. I play a lot of nba 2k12 on my htpc. MLB 2k12 is ok if you like sports games, its the only baseball we have. I also installed fable 3 a few weeks ago, I like it, most people hate on it. Racing games, if you like them, I have a couple nfs, and dirt games i play on the htpc. Basically anything that's a console port, dead island runs well on older hardware, and is fun w/ a controller.

My wife, and I play dungeon defenders, and some wii games emulated with dolphin.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I can see myself playing a lot of NBA 2k12. But not so much my wife. Nor will she like all those other games (the ones I know anyway, though I'll have a look)

The problem with myself is that for basically anything I prefer a mouse n keyboard, even in RPG etc I still prefer MnK.

As for driving games, it would be great to play them on the big tv. But I have a wheel for that purpose and I dont know how I could set it up nicely on the sofa haha.

Talk to me about this Wii emulation? How? What? Where? ?? Very interested as my seven year old daughter would love that.

Also, can browser flash games be made to work with controllers? My daughter can spend hours on the computer playing online games like "Fire Boy and Water Girl" "Jack Frost" etc lol.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The Lego series games are usually a hit for kids and women. My wife plays the Harry Potter Lego game.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilldawn View Post

Yeah I can see myself playing a lot of NBA 2k12. But not so much my wife. Nor will she like all those other games (the ones I know anyway, though I'll have a look)
The problem with myself is that for basically anything I prefer a mouse n keyboard, even in RPG etc I still prefer MnK.
As for driving games, it would be great to play them on the big tv. But I have a wheel for that purpose and I dont know how I could set it up nicely on the sofa haha.
Talk to me about this Wii emulation? How? What? Where? ?? Very interested as my seven year old daughter would love that.
Also, can browser flash games be made to work with controllers? My daughter can spend hours on the computer playing online games like "Fire Boy and Water Girl" "Jack Frost" etc lol.
http://dolphin-emulator.com/

Your HTPC should be able to run any Wii game with Dolphin at HD resolution.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on Dolphin

Looks pretty easy to set up? I didnt know that Wii stuff was all run by bluetooth.

I'll have a look at those Lego games.

Any one know if browser games can be played by controller?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info on Dolphin
Looks pretty easy to set up? I didnt know that Wii stuff was all run by bluetooth.
I'll have a look at those Lego games.
Any one know if browser games can be played by controller?
Cheers
Dolphin was pretty easy to setup, I use my Wiimote with a Trendnet BT adapter, I found that the particular Trendnet adapter I have works pretty well with the motion detection. My older motorola BT adapter worked, but not so well on some games. I use a wireless sensor bar, it's not required, I've heard of some people using 2 candles setup, but it makes the experience better. The wireless sensor bar was like $10, and I figured I'd go through more than $10 worth of candles, lol.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you need the sensor bar?

Just have to find me a cheap wii remote now, the last of the parts arrived today. Epic set up tonight haha.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:

Do you need the sensor bar?
Just have to find me a cheap wii remote now, the last of the parts arrived today. Epic set up tonight haha.
Well, you don't need it, but if you're going to use a wiimote it makes the experience more complete, without it some games may not work right.

You can also just forget the wiimote all together and use a 360, or PC controller too. Or mouse/keyboard, but that's lame.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well yeah, I got a few wireless gamepads for other games.

But Wii games sound good for the wife and kids.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:

Well yeah, I got a few wireless gamepads for other games.
But Wii games sound good for the wife and kids.
Right, but what I was referring to is within Dolphin you can change the input type, so you can use a gamepad with Dolphin if you wanted to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts