I'm considering building my own media server and then a seaprate HTPC. The HTPC would be very simple. It would just run Win7 and have a Blu Ray ODD. It would access Blu Ray and HD DVD files I have ripped from some file storage over the network and send it to my Denon AV Tuner to display on my projector. My entire house is wired with Cat 6 Ethernet gigabit connections.
The media server is the question. It would be a completely separate machine from my HTPC.
I would like it to do the following:
- Be on all the time
- Use low power
- Handle 2 to 4 SATA drives (hopefully SATA 3)
- Easy access to the video files
To do this, I am trying to decide what to build:
- Processor: Should I use an Intel Core i3-2100? Is that overkill? Or something smaller like the AMD E-350? What do folks recommend?
- Motherboard: Should I do one of those combo motherboard/CPU things? This would go along with the first question if I do an Atom or an AMD E-350...
- Memory: 4GB DDR3? 8GB DDR3? Am I smokin' crack?
- Backplane for hot swappable drives: Is this necessary?
- Case: What's a good case for this system?
Thank you in advance!!